1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need info on Remington Engraving

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by larrybtoast, Jul 20, 2012.

1. larrybtoast

larrybtoast New Member

Hey fellow "enthusiasts"
    I recently heard about these priceless Remington engraved guns and I can't find any information for the life of me. Does anyone have pictures, info, or anything else? I am fascinated to see some of these guns.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know of any specific Remington engraved guns, but Remington, like almost all arms makers, offers custom engraving for their guns, in various grades ranging from a few simple scrolls to full coverage with engraving and inlays of precious metals. Price, naturally, depends on the coverage and inlay work as well as corresponding stock work.

In addition, there are independent engravers and stock workers who will do that kind of work on any gun, again with a price comensurate with the amount of work.

Jim
  3. larrybtoast

larrybtoast New Member

Thanks for your reply, but I am referring to an engraver rather than Remington arms. I'm look for information on Frederick Remington. He was an artist that depicted the old west and there are rumors that he did gun engraving as well. I don't know if it is true, but I am hoping to find out.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A clearer question would have been appreciated.

AFAIK, Frederic [note spelling] Remington never engraved guns or anything else. He did drawings, paintings and sculpture (reproducing his original sculptures with the lost wax casting process), but he did not do his own engraving. That was done by experts at the magazines which brought his drawings and paintings to a mass audience.

Jim
  5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

I greatly admire the work of Fredrick Remington and Fredrick Russell ! Beautiful stuff . I saw an interview of Gene Autry once and he had two Remington Bronzes on his desk when he owned the Cal. Angels ! Didn't mean to hijack your thread but Remington is dear to me !