Need info on Star lube/szer press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunguy, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

OK, which one of you guys has had dealings with the old Star lube/sizer press. (see attached image)

I haven't a clue on how it works compared to the old Lyman lube/sizer press.

On the Lyman you ram a lead bullet down into a lube/sizer die where it sized and lubed at the same time, then the bullet ejected back out of the top of the die.

It must be different on the Star, it don't have any eject apparratice and how can it lube with no bottom on the sizer die area.

I would really like to find me one of these old Star lube/sizer press's.

Gunguy

Attached Files:

2. JBMauser

JBMauser New Member

Star press

Well I did a lot of research on the star as I bought one on line (so I thought) and when it came low and behold it was a Saeco. It is still a great sizer so I am happy. This is what I learned. The Star Is the fastest because it is a drop through. One bullet always stays in the die to contain the lube which is under pressure. The bullet you put in pushes the next one out and one remains. I believe it goes nose down. You can get the operating manual for it at Magma the company that makes the automated bullet casting equip. They also sell dies for the Star. If I can find the URL for the yahoo star users group who were very helpful, I will post it here. Best of luck. JB
  3. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Thanks JBM, you are the answer to my prayers...I wanted to learn something about the Star and you came through...thanks again.

If you can get that website addy I'd really appreciate it.

The Lyman lube/sizer press is not the best as far as I'm concernedd, there has to be something better I was hoping.

So, the bullet in seals the next bullet so the lube action takes place without leaking out the bottom...pretty clever...sounds like it would work faster than the Lyman press.

I don't understand about the dies, but glad they are still available.

How is it you say the Star you bought turned out to be a Saeco?

Did they take over the line from Star, can I get one of these press's from Saeco?

Thanks again.

Jim :D
  4. JBMauser

JBMauser New Member

Star

I did not find the URL but I found the guy who is the Moderator? and he is a dealer or reseller of Star and Saeco dies. coffeyn1@juno.com Drop him a line and get an education on the Star. The production guys love the star they can lube and size as fast as they can put in a bullet and pull the handle. 100 to 200 rounds with wone turn of the lube screw handle. Hope this helps. The company that has re-introduced the Star is Magma Engineering www.magmaengr.com best of luck, JB
  5. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Tried to contact the old gent John Paul Jones, he don't answer.

The bottom website won't come in on my puter, are you sure the name is correct.

Well, anyway I sure do thank you for helping out...I'll keep on pecken until I make a connection.

Jim
  6. JBMauser

JBMauser New Member

Star

I could not get Magma up either but I figured there server could be down with either the virus or the Eastern Grid power failure. The company is Magma and google which is never wrong, came up with the URL> Keep at it as I am sure it will connect.

Here is a site that tells you how to tune up an old star with new O rings.
    http://www.schuetzen.net/fix_a_star_luber.htm JB
  7. JBMauser

JBMauser New Member

Star

I don't know what is wrong with Magma's website but their published email address is rclausen@ix.netcom.com
    Their phone number is Queen Creek AZ is 480-987-9008
    JB
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Thanks, I just sent them an email on requesting a product line review and a price sheet, or a catalog to my home address.

Jim
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Seems like the Magma Engineering site is down. Since You posted Bob Clausen's email address, please tell him that Rick Spragg and Mike Liebman appreciate his help. Bob once made me a set of 240 gr RN moulds for my model 29. they are in Queen Creek, AZ, which is just south of Chandler, AZ where I lived.
  10. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Holy cow, I just got a price list from magma and the Star is going for $175 and the caliber lube dies are $45. I don't think I can afford to do business with them when other products cost half of that.

Gunguy
  11. JBMauser

JBMauser New Member

Star

Yes the dies are expensive. That is why I sent you that guy's email address. He sells for much less. There is a active aftermarket in Star dies and there is a company who's name the user group can give you that people send dies to have opened up to a larger cal. Then again, you could put the mess on ebay and sell it for top dollar and buy all you need of the Lyman, RCBS varity. JB
  12. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Dang tooten I won't be spending $175 on the Star lube/sizer.

I'm bidding on the @$%^&# ebay trying to nail a Lyman lube/sizer, but keep getting outbidded...my bedroom clock is 3 minutes off and the other dudes are coming in a dollar more than me...can you say loser...yep.

Gunguy :D

Attached Files:

13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Set the clock on your computer...that's the one that counts. Put in a maximum-you-are-willing-to-spend bid within the last ten minutes of the auction and let ebay to the re-bidding. I won a camera that way a couple of weeks ago,,,beat the other guy by 28 seconds. :D

Pops
  14. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Pop, I did just that, had my son come up and restore the dang time on the puter...he's the one that took it off for whatever reason...now, let the bid wars begin...heh heh.

Hope this puts me one up on them rascals who outbid me by one buck.

Gunguy ;)