Need info

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Appliancedude, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

My dad is looking at buying a new gun. He's not a gun nut, so he called me. He's looking at buying a 357 mag auto. I didn't even know they were made. He's looking at the desert eagle.

He likes the idea of a 357 mag auto, cause he already owns a 357 mag revolver. So he can use the same ammo.

So, Pros? Cons? Different reload requirements?

Thanks
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i had a coonan when in the states and sold it , but if it wasn't for the laws here i'd still have it ,

never a issue , i'm not a 357 mag fan the recoil , shooting it all day HURTS, but i could shoot this one a fair bit , prefer the .45 1911's but for what it was , the coonan was a impressive shooter

but not common so dunno parts or anything , the guy who i bought the F150 from had it for sale in his store for $450 i added 400 to the truck total and took that too
    had it for the 4 months i was in the US shot 5-6 boxes of ammo through it and a few other gun folks shot it too , all impressed ..

other than the smith and wesson dunno about other semi auto in 357

smith was nice but hard on the hand i thought
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

If I was in that market a Coonan would be my choice.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

The Desert Eagle....you have to shoot 158 grain bullets/loads/full on .357 magnums in it to get it to function properly. Mine was very accurate but it was a beast and not very practical unless you just want to say you have one.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a desert eagle in 44mag and one good thing is with the weight of the gun, there isnt much recoil. But like already said, they arent really practical. They weigh like 5 pounds loaded.
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Cartridges with rims (such as the .357 Magnum) are not best suited for use in arms designs other than revolvers and single shot chambers. That is why the rimless and semi-rimless cartridge designs were developed. It is true that numerous auto-loading arms have been made to work satisfactorily with rimmed ammo. Still, a rimless cartridge design in generally considered to be better for use in auto-loading arms.

To expand on post #4, a revolver will reliably function with a very wide range of loads. Auto-loading arms typically have a much narrower power range that they can be used with. Auto-loading pistols that use the .38 S&W Special as the parent cartridge case, are notoriously finicky about what they will reliably cycle with.

Hope this helps.
  7. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

I had a Coonan several years back, and am still kicking myself in the a** for getting rid of it. It handled evrything I put through it without a bobble, the quality and workmanship were second to none. The recoil was a little sharp for this type of pistol, but still very managable. The new Coonans, as I understand it will accept the .38 Special round also. Another option would be the .38 Super in a 1911 style pistol, most of these hold ten rounds instead of the six that most revolvers hold. Many of the ammunition offerings are very close to .357 Magnum in performance.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Thanks guys, I'll pass it along to the old man.