Need Information - Muzzleloaders or Black Powder Rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by bayoubullet, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bayoubullet

bayoubullet New Member

If possible, I have another question pertaining to the following:

Needed any information on an ULTRA-HI 45 Caliber Black Powder Only muzzeloader or rifle made in Japan by MIROKU, serial # 18746. The barrel is octagon shape and 34 inches long.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

3. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb New Member

Dixie gun works sells a Dixie Tennessee mountain rifle made by miroku which is in Japan. I've heard from several people their an excellent high quality reproduction gun. I didn't realize they made a Kentucky rifle. If I had the money I would love to buy their flintlock mountain rifle.
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I just sold a Dixie Gun Works TN mtn rifle in 50 cal and own a 32 in it still. They are excellent guns and at one time the company made some of Brownings modern firearms which were of good quality. Miroku has for years put out some great quality firearms of both modern and reproduction BP types. I also own a reproduction Brown Bess that miroku made and it will shoot with any others. The main reason they stopped importing hem was that several years back the Yen to Dollar exchange rate got too high for miroku to be able to sell in the US at a competive price. IF they haad kept up importing, the reproduction BP rifles would cost well in excess of $200 more than custom maade US reproductions.
    Bottom line is you will like teh KY rifle made by Miroku and should you ever do anything to ruin the barrel, Green Mountain Barrel company makes drop in barrels for all of Mirohu's reproductions.
  5. santis

santis New Member

Hello Bayoubullet!

Found this threat when searching information for my own Ultra-Hi Miroku
    trough Google. Bought mine from American guy residing in Helsinki, Finland.
    He in turn had inherited it from his uncle who had passed away in US.
    My Miroku is also .45 cal caplock with 34" barrel. Serial# is 18487 (very close to yours). Only info seller had was that his uncle bought it about 30 years ago.
    It´s made out of kit, but completely unfinished. Steel parts are left in white, brass castings rough and stock made out of light coloured wood
    (could be poplar?), is untreated. Seems to be quite good quality, all parts
    fit nicely. As far as I can figure it has newer been fired. With it I got
    unopenet packet of CVA .440 balls, some caps, patches and leaflet about
    Pyrodex with loads for different calibres etc. Incidently, I use Pyrodex
    with my Uberti .44 1858 Remington replica. Black powder scene is not very
    big in Finland and many shooters here complain about poor availability
    and uneven quality of "real" blackpowders.
    The barrel of mine measures exactly .45 from land to land, so .440 balls
    should be ok with pillow ticking patches? My patches are marked .50 to
    54 cal. What would be right diameter for .45 patch so I could make my own?
    Hope I get my Miroku ready to shoot for this coming summer!
    Regards, Santis
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Buy a yard of pillow ticking and after washing, cut into strips about 1.5 in wide.

After pouring the powder charge down the barrel, lay the ticking across the barrel after lubing and mash the ball down flush with the muzzle. Then cut the cloth right on the end of the muzzle. It makes a nice round patch.
  7. Rafsob

Rafsob New Member

Miroku does some fine work. I have owned a few of their guns. I just recently purchased a used Winchester 1885 Highwall and it is beautiful. I also had an Winchester 1886 lever gun.

Miroku makes some of the finest reproduction firearms in the world. Enjoy yourself and good shooting my friend!