need input

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Ledslnger, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I bought a new to me .22 and the guy's wife I bought it from must smoke like a chimney. Gun smells like cig smoke. I have wiped it down countless times with Rem oil wipes, but the smell still lingers. Anyone have a helpful hint to get rid of the smell!?! Love the gun, but I don't enjoy shooting it as much as I would like because of the stink.
  2. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Oh, this is a standard rifle with a wooden stock no synthetics.
  3. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

Metal would not absorb odors so it must be in the wood. Baking soda, Fabreeze, oxy clean? Sand it and refinish?
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Give the stock a refinish with Tru-oil and you should be able to get rid of the funk.
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did a google search for getting rid of cigarrette smoke...here's one answer from moneysavingexpert.com:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1191&page=2
    Don't know about the vinegar, but having looked at the vinegar website, it did say it got rid of odours.

I have had great success in the past with getting cig smoke smells out of carpet by using Bicarbonate of Soda like a 'shake and vac', although you may have to face the fact that the carpet will be tainted beyond desmelling. Also, you could clean off any paintwork with a sugar soap solution, which will get rid of the smell on there and have the benefit of whitening the smoke yellowed paint.

I know people who swear that half a chopped onion in a room soaks up cig smoke smells, and other people who say half a lemon does this too.

Another site suggests spraying furniture with white vinegar with a fine spray bottle.

Here's another site...this time getting rid of smoke smells on a camera:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=38519449
  6. yetiman

yetiman New Member

bet she had a deep voice then......**Hi Doll** from Andy Griffith Show. Vinegar should work and hopefully not ruin the finish...
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Be careful vinager will remove bluing from a gun quick fast and in a hurry.
  8. geds

geds New Member

I'll bet it smells like a salad after this treatment! ;)
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've smoked cigars for over 40 years....but NEVER in the house, always out on the deck, garage, wherever. I've heard cigarette smoke can be worse plus it's the nicotine that smells. Here's some ideas:

Know that one of the best neutralizers of odor is vinegar. Put some white vinegar in a spray bottle, and lightly spritz it on the wood's surface. Wipe off excess liquid with a soft cloth to avoid staining.....and be careful around the metal parts! Easy does it.

Keep in mind that if you have a cabinet or drawer that has retained cigarette odor, baking soda can help with removing the smell. Place a bowl of baking soda inside the drawer or cabinet, and then close it up for a few days. The baking soda will absorb much of the odor. If you don't have baking soda, you can use ground coffee in the same way.

Understand that lemon oil is also a great tool for eliminating smoky smells. If the furniture doesn’t have a buildup of nicotine on it, try wiping it down with Murphy's Oil Soap, in the lemon-scented version. This not only gets rid of the cigarette smell, it also leaves the furniture looking nice and smelling fresh.

Use witch hazel. This is an astringent which can be found in the pharmacy section of your grocery store. Mix ½ cup witch hazel with a few drops of liquid dish soap. Using a soft scrubbing pad, gently rub the mixture into the wood. To wipe off, use a warm, damp washcloth. This should neutralize the cigarette odor in your wooden furniture.

Finally, remember that some odors are caused not by the smoke itself, but by a nicotine residue. Nicotine is an acid, so to remove it you'll need an alkaline-based cleanser. Borax, baking soda and most laundry soaps are alkaline-based. Combine ½ tsp. of any of these with a quart of warm water, and spray it on the furniture. Wipe it off and follow it with a white vinegar rinse. If the smell is really strong, you may need to do more than one application.

.....when you're done you might want to touch up the wood anyway.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  10. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I would sand and re finish
  11. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

+1
  12. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Interesting...and a problem Ive never run into with gun stocks..

I think I would go with a solution of Murphys Soap and water, ..Follow directions on bottle....Rub it well with this solution with maybe a sponge it and leave it on for a few minutes ...Dont rub enough to scratch the finish but dont be a wussie about rubbing it into the stock either......Dry with old towel or paper towels....The smoke particles are maybe trapped on the surface of the finish in the accumulation or crud, dirt, bacon grease, gun oil, etc....Get this off and you may get rid of the smell...There will be some lightning of the wood as the accumulation of old oil, bacon grease and embedded smoke particles are removed..Repeat if needed...Finish up with a good furniture paste wax and buff it out with soft cloth.....If you have cleaned the wood well and the smell persists, get out the finish remover, sand paper and Tru-Oil and get to work...:)

If all fails, rub it down with some Hoppes...yeah, I know, Hoppe's stinks to High Heaven, but smells better than cigarette smoke any day.;)
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  13. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Okay, thanks for everyone's help.
  14. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I like the Hoppes idea, but then I love the smell of Hoppes.
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I doubt it's actually cig smoke causing the smell after multiple wipe downs. More likely something used on it or in it mimics the smell or crud build up. I expect it's probably never been break-down cleaned as sometimes the old gunk build up developes a very pungent smell that's hart to get rid of without doing a thorough cleaning. I do a lot of cleaning and refinishing to old basket cases that I'd swear have never been cleaned and the oder can often be foul. Putting it to your nose will tell you where the smell is, the wood or the metal.
    Has the stock been refinished? I used a stain a while back that had an almost nicotine smell. If it is cig smoke, she wasn't just a heavy smoker, she was a heavy smoker that held her gun 24-7. Regardless of the cause sinse the gun is "new to you" a disassembly cleaning may be in good order. Just my thoughts.