Need Load Data for .45 using Berry's 230 plated bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by johnnybocce, Oct 1, 2012.

1. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Hey Guys,
    Wondered if anyone can advise on a proven recipe for .45ACP, using Berry's plated 230 grain bullets. I would like to use Bullseye powder. Would 5 grains be a bit heavy. Also would like to hear recipes for Unique and PowerPistol powder
    Will be shooting a Glock 21 and a Kimber 1911
    Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Hey Guys,
    Wondered if anyone can advise on a proven recipe for .45ACP, using Berry's plated 230 grain bullets. I would like to use Bullseye powder. Would 5 grains be a bit heavy. Also would like to hear recipes for Unique and PowerPistol powder
    Will be shooting a Glock 21 and a Kimber 1911
    Thanks
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

5 gr is a good load.. one I use myself both with cast lead and jacketed 230 grainers indescriminantly. It is one of Mike Venturinos 2 loads that he uses foir all his 230 gr .45ACP shooting. His other load is also one i use. 5.4 gr W231 with the same bullets.

Another load I developed myself with the same bullets yet again is 4.5 gr Titegroup.

All 3 loads work very well with any 230 gr bullet.
  4. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

JLA
    Thanks for the information. I will definitely try the Bullseye and TiteGroup recipes.
    Really appreciate the advice this site furnishes.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Best part is none of them are MAX loads. all 3 are right about mid range for a 230 gr bullet in a .45ACP
  6. gandog56

gandog56 Member

You are usually pretty safe using lead recipes, but Lee's Modern Reloading does have plated bullet bullet recipes. Unfortunately they have none for 230 grain plated .45. I wonder if Berry's came out with them after they published? The only plated .45 they have is 185 grains.
  7. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Hey JLA, can you explain to me the difference, with regard to using the proper recipe, of a .230 grain plated such as a Berry's bullet, and a 230 grain tmj, or a fmj, or a lead cast, all being the same weight. Thanks
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lead generally uses more powder than a jacketed bullet to get the same velocity and pressure. this is because of bullet hardness and friction between the bullet and bore. Plated bullets generally are best used with cast lead data, though Berrys advises users to load them over jacketed bullet data. To err on the side of safety no doubt.

TMJ stand for Total Metal Jacket and is the only type of projectile allowed in lead free indoor ranges. FMJ is Full Metal Jacket and is very similar to the TMJ with the exception that FMJ generally has exposed lead at the base. Cast lead is bare cast lead. Loaded with good loads they will all put .45 cal holes in the target.
  9. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

JLA
    Again thanks for the information and your time.
  10. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

FWIW, my Glock 30 does not function well with loads in the start range, but mid-range loads run fine. My 1911s OTOH always function fine with light loads. I haven't used PP for 45 loads, but there is plenty of reload information for Unique--you should have a manual that will give you a good start and check out the Hodgden web site for their load suggestions. I like Unique fine for loads that are mid-range and up, but with lighter loads it doesn't seem to burn completely.

Finally, work your loads up in batches of 10-20 to find what works best in the guns you are shooting. It is never fun to have to pull a bunch of bullets when you find that the load you worked on didn't meet your (or your gun's) expectations.
  11. judgecrater

judgecrater New Member

Remember that recipes without OAL are meaningless. OAL determines pressure just a surely as bullet and powder weight.
  12. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Your problem is caused by owning a GLOCK in the first place! Always felt like I was holding a brick with a piece of welding pipe protruding from the bottom at a bad angle! Hope you put in a Lone Wolf barrel so you get no "KABOOM"!

Just yanking your chain, but I have yet to ever hold ANY model Glock that felt good in my hand. ;)

A 1911, now there's a different story. My hand LIKES those!
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I shoot 200gr platted bullets and found 5gr of titegroup to be spot on for accuracy and recoil in my Kimber.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I think as long as the velocity is below 1200 fps, any recipe, lead or jacketed recipe is good for copper plated bullets. 1200 fps limit was suggested by Berry.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I would stay below 1200 fps as well.