Need Load for .223 Rem. with H335

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Snakedriver, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I couldn't get any of my favorite W748 powder the last time I went shopping, so I got a couple of pounds of H335 to load a bunch of .223 Rem.'s

I'm going to be using a 55 gr. FMJ pill with a standard small rifle primer and new Federal brass.

My research on-line and in my loading manuals tells me that a good load is betweeen 25.5gr's. and 26.0gr's. of H335 for velocity, but that isn't as important as accuracy.

So tell me what is your favorite load using H335 with a 55 gr. bullet that gives you the best accuracy. THX!!! :cool:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. scrat

scrat New Member

----------------------------------------
    55 grain JSP (Hornady Soft Point)
    IMR 3031 25.0* gr. 3,165 FPS
    IMR 4895 26.0 gr. 3,120
    2400 14.0 gr. 2,685
    Reloader 12 27.5 gr. 3,255
    Reloader 7 20.5 gr. 3,080
    H4895 26.0 gr. 3,099
    H335 25.3 gr. 3,203
    #2230 26.0 gr. 3,216
    #2460 26.5 gr. 3,231
    748 26.3 gr. 3,150
    * compressed charge
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've done the research online and have studied my loading manuals, I'm really looking to hear from people regarding their favorite H335 load they used that gives them the best accuracy with 55 gr. bullets. ;)
  4. scrat

scrat New Member

Sounds great but keep in mind.
    Different lengths of barrel will affect velocities. Different brand bullets of same type and weight will alter pressures and velocities (and performance) and YOU must keep this in mind.

So with that good luck

lol

TROL
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There is no magic super accurate load for any caliber cartridge. There is a magic load for your specific gun that may not shoot well in other's. A safe load in my gun may be unsafe in others. Guns are unique to themselves. Each gun, to achieve best accuracy, requires testing, varying load levels, bullets, powder choices, free bore, and primer choice. All must be tested extensively to find the one and only one your gun likes best. You can test until the cows come home in the search for the perfect load. But there is a simple way to find the best load for the components and powder of choice.

Load up 15 cartridges at the starting load level (from a published reloading manual). Shoot three 5 shot groups. Load up 15 cartridges at one grain more powder but do not exceed the published Max load level. Shoot three 5 shot groups. Continue doing this until you reach the maximum load level but STOP if any load shows signs of excessive pressure and don't shoot the next hottest level or even finish the level you are at if you see signs of excessive pressure (read your manual for a description of those signs). Compare groups as an average at the various load levels. Pick the best load and load up 15 cartridges, again, 0.5 grains on each side of the selected best group average. You are homing in on the best accuracy. If you want to go farther then do the same with different brand bullets and different powders and even different primers. There are other variables such as how close the bullet is to the rifling in the barrel (free bore). There are also details on how the brass is prepared. The testing can go on forever if you want.

Someone else's accurate load will, more than likely, NOT be your most accurate load. Your's must be developed with testing.

LDBennett
  6. scrat

scrat New Member

Very well put
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I've done it many many times before. I was just trying to make conversation I was interested to hear what has worked for others. There's only a 2gr. spread between min. and max. on .223 with H335, so it won't be hard to figure out

I won't be making conversation here again, sorry. :mad:
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Snakedriver:

Don't get upset. I have no idea who you are or where you are in loading ability so I give you the whole dissertation. Sorry, please don't be offended.

I would add that years ago I developed a load for my son's Browning A-Bolt and it was very good indeed. It was a published load. When I tried it in my Browning 1885 Single shot it gave pressure signs in spades, big time. Both guns were made in the same factory in Japan.

To give you what you wanted, my Thompson Contender with a 14 inch barrel and 55 gr FMJ got the best accuracy with 25.5 gr of H335. The A-Bolt liked 26.0 gr of H335. The Browning 1885 single shot likes the Speer 52 gr HP (#1035) with 26.0 gr of H335. My fast twist AR likes 75 gr BTHP Match and 22.5 gr of Vit. N140. The AR hated 52 gr bullets with H335 and exploded them before they got to the target!

Hope this helps and please do come back.

LDBennett
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Hello. I happen to use 25.0 grains H-335 with the 55 grain FMJ bullet in a very old (time-wise) but lightly used Colt AR15 Sp-1. Like everbody in the entire world says, what works well for me in my rifle may not work for you and your rifle.

I got this load from an American Rifleman Loading Bench item. This load shot so well that I've never attempted to work up another load for my AR. I am not a wizard on the firing line, but when I tested this load off a sand bagged bench at 25 yards to check on function, and put 5 shots into the same ragged hole, I figured it was a decent enough load for me.

Would this same load do the same at 200 yards? Likely not. I fired the old M16A1 in military competition (along with the M-14 and Remington 513Ts) and found that the 55 grain FMJ bullet was very accurate, as long as wind wasn't a factor. As I recall, we fired at 100, 200 and 400 yards (has been a very long time ago) in the M-16 Matches, and if you stood behind the firing line during other relays, if you felt ANY wind on your cheek you would see all the bullet impacts shift left or riglt. These were all top shooters, and the elevations were dead on, but the breeze really played with that light bullet.

There are so many different configurations for .223 rifles/barrels/barrel twist rates today that it may be impossible for anyone to say what would be the best 'generic' .223 load. In my case, with my early 1970s rifle, it happens to shoot 25.0 grains H-335 with 55 grain FMJ bullets with assorted LC military cases very well. This same load could very well 'key-hole' from your rifle. Great discussion idea! (And thanks for letting me share some memories!)