The Firearms Forum banner

Need more 30-06 brass-found $exp way to get it

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  accident 
#1 ·
I got fed up with trying to find 30-06 brass so I need some now.I bought 3 boxes factory ammo cause I got sick of looking.The past few days I've been shooting 10-15 each day to empty and firefom them.I've used a target just to have something to shoot at.They all keyhole in the target.Weird.They're Rem-cor loc.It doesn't really matter since I only want the brass.I just thought it strange out of an older Savage with a good barrel.I wonder if they've changed the bullets with the rush.Is that what hunters that don't reload can expect from store bought bullets?I've used the same ones in this gun before and they didn't keyhole then.Why so unstable now? Well it dosen't really matter. Joe

#2 ·
Do you buy from the CMP? Greek HXP M2 ball can still be had 200 rounds loose in an original 30 cal ammo can for $118 plus about $11 ship.
Spend some time there and you'll see interesting stuff come up in limited quantities....couple months back I got 2 ammo boxes of 250 M1919 linked HXP M2 ball for $100 each.
This is going to be the least expensive .30-06 you're likely to find and the military brass is good stuff

#5 ·
That's definitely odd, accident! I've been shooting the same stuff to supplement my brass supply and haven't seen a single keyhole yet. But check out the link from Skipper - that's some pretty decent pricing!

#6 ·
That's the one cartridge I coulda bought whenever I wanted it round here.

#7 ·
I can't believe I mentioned earlier today that once in a while the CMP rolls out small quantities and today they bring back some of the linked:
This is a darn good deal, only about 80 cans left

Item ID: 4C3006U200-250
Description: M2 Ball, .30-06, Metal Linked 250 RDS/PER .30 CAL CAN
M2 Ball in metal links at 250 rds per .30 cal can.
Headstamp HXP (Greek Pyrkal), mostly dated 64-66

S&H $12.95 per can, $21.95 per can to Alaska or Hawaii

Price: $125.00

#8 ·
Seems like an expensive, wasteful way to get brass. If it was me, I'd pull the bullets. If I wanted brass fireformed to my gun, I'd put maybe 15 grains of bullseye in one, fold up a piece of toilet paper and stick it in the mouth, and then shoot the sky. Bap. Fireformed brass, and did not throw away that "quarter apiece" bullets.

Maybe YOUR gun don't like 150 grain Core-Lokts, but there's bunches that do. Offer them quarter-each bullets for a dime per, and somebody'd take 'em off your hands quick. That's six bucks you didn't have.

#11 ·
Thanks guys.Once fired is OK as long as its w/out a doubt once fired.Alpo, it is a wasteful way.But I wanted 60 or so more fireformed cases so I went to W-World.(and I despise them). About $18/box.I shoot 150 Hornady interlocs and I guess I haven't changed to the 168gr is just because They've been accurate, reliable killers for me so I haven't gone up to 168's or 180gr's. It's an older savage 110 with Rifle basics trigger, bedded used for hunting and some target shooting for fun. George,I normally wouldn't have done that for 60 cases but what can I say? I'm ready to be done with my 30-06 loading at least for now.I'm ready to get at my 30-30 loads ASAP.Alpo, I don't have any Bulseye but still wasn't aware one would fireform properly w/out a listed min load and I definetly never thought about saving a bullet and using compressed tin foil. Thats why ya'll make the big bucks! Thanks Joe

#13 ·
Thanks slayer.I'll let you know.According to rules we may have to use the "Buy Sell,Trade forum" but I'm not positive. I'd love to get 100 more right now at that price + shipping costs. Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.