Need more advice for my pen holder idea....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Apr 7, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

If you remember last time I was talking about making those pen holders out of our local stone and such....

I got to thinking that since they would be a tourist type thing that i should put those little brass looking plates on there like they have on trophys and on name plates for...i guess penholders and such....
    They're just a thin little brass looking rectangular glue on thing that I think was stamped with some kind of roller stamper, or an impact stamper of some kind...

What do you think would be the best way to get these? Would there be a company that makes such a thing like a print shop, or would there be some kind of tool I could buy to crank these out...
    I think handmade would be better since I'm going for the "local made" with "local" materials theme when it comes to selling these penholders...

That is unless there is a company somewhere that could crank off 500 of them for cheap cheap, which i think might be the case....
    I just don't have any idea where to even begin on this one?
    Usually I have a hard time coming up with the right key words for an internet search, but on this one...I don't even know what to call it?
    stamped letters?

Any help Y'all can give me on this One, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks !!!

mike
  2. jlmckinney

jlmckinney New Member

3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

4. rosierita

rosierita New Member

hmmmm.... i think you could get those at a trophy shop, ya know ~ those places that do the trophies for little league soccer or whatever. wonder if you could find out who does the trophies for a local school??:confused: hmmm.... right now my mind is drawing a blank! sorry!! oh yeah, have you thought of getting something like a wood burning kit, but something you could use on stone?? or maybe one of those etchers, where you can etch glass?? now i'm curious!! lemme go see what i can find......:D
  5. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:D LOL! wow! looks like you got lots of help here!;)

glass etching info here i dunno if you can use that for stone tho.
  6. rosierita

rosierita New Member

7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

We do sandblasting here at the company....
    I briefly thought about sand blasting it on them, but that is very labor intensive.
    Gotta glue a mat on each one "straight"...peel the inside of letters off...sandblast...peel mat off....
    And there is a failure rate...sometimes the glue does'nt hold, and part of the mat will come off and the letter will blow out....

I might do that for the higher priced ones...like a custom order thing...

But the cheap ones that I'm trying to get started with have to be just that....cheap.

I've been working it out on paper, and I'm pretty sure I can make a complete penholder and sell if for arround $4...polished and everything...
    That is if I buy the Pens in bulk...

I'm thinking blank strips of metal and stamping tools? The more hand made the better.....or so i would assume?

mike
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

They've got laser engraving on that one.......

Monument companys use them. My dad and I went to the Stone Expo a few years back in Kansas City...they had one of these machines......just incredable!!!

They can take a picture, scann it and laser etch it on stone, usually granite, and have it come out a very high quality picture on the stone...something ya just have to see to believe....

It might be an idea for the higher priced penholders....infact, its a definated on them......
    A laser etched pic of one of the more prominent stone buildings etched on the surface of it.......

I'm really getting excited about this whole idea.......

I've also contemplated the idea of sandblasting a persons name on them if they'll wait for them, or i could mail them out if they're not staying overnight in Eureka......

I might have to rig up a sandblasting thing like the auto shops use where you put your hands inside a box and sandblast the item and the sand is recycled right there in the box and all......
    Maybe even a portable box so i could go into town......

But then I'd need permits and who knows what all kinds of BS I'd have to go through....

The chief of police in Eureka is a Pr**k.....
    his officers beat up a lady a few years back for playing her guitar too loud...even though she had the proper permits and cleared it with the histerical....excuse me...historical commission....

Several tourists who witnessed the whole thing wrote a letter to the Mayor with quite a few signeratures on it stating that they would NEVER visit Eureka again.........

Every time there is a blues festival these schmucks dress up in swat outfits and are eager for the slightest argument between visitors to break out......

One of the officers lives down the road from me, and last summer they were out practicing head shots on silouette targets with AR's.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti cop....but that chief of police is an accident waiting to happen.....
    We already have a couple of pretty good swat type emergency response teams...one with the sheriffs dept, and one with the state police.....
    Cops in a tourist town should be just that......"Cops" in-a-tourist-town.....period.

sorry about the rant....

mike
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You hit the nail on the head SoMo...

Thats exactly the kind of metal plate I was looking for....but the engraving is a little higher than I hoped for the enonomy pen holder I'm thinking of starting off with.....

Maybe if i find some kind of stamping tools somewhere.....

mike
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

This is what I use on metal. Think brass plates. Or, just etch on the pen holder.

<www.etch-o-matic.com/>

Pops
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

12. fenderbender58

fenderbender58 New Member

As a traveling hard hat who's lived in a lot of different states(police or otherwise;) ) ,It's my opinion that police misconduct/brutality is most prevelant in ares that restrict or ban concealed carry:mad: :( if you can't rant here,then where??;)
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

How many times can a stencil be reused?

mike
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Arkansas has concealed carry.

I just think this chief is a nut, and has a few like minded officers arround him.....

My neighbor expressed some degree of confusion as to why the chief was making them practice that particular shot....

mike
  15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Stencils you make yourself can be used 50 to 100 times, if you are careful not to "bunr them out." If you order stencils made by the company (the "Dura-Film" stencils,) they are supposed to last longer. I haven't worn one out, yet. I usually end up tearing them after many uses.

Pops
  16. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Make them gun related. How about chambers, receivers, barells, etc, :D , or even in the shape of a cartridge.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  17. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

I saw in an old S&W catalog they had coat racks made out of a wooden base plate with 6" barrels for the hooks and a pen holder that was made from revolver cylinders..... just thought I would pass that along...... :eek:
  18. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Tourists are mostly sheep and are frightened by anything having to do with guns or freedom......

I think I'll stay more politically correct on this one.... :(

mike
  19. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Are you saying that you have to peel them off of the metal surface after the process?

mike
  20. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

You make the stencil by drawing on it or with a pin printer or typewriter, or such. That stencil is then attached under the outer ring of the embosser. After using it to make one, or many marks, you have to remove the stencil and wash it. This is where I often tear it.

I make only one mark at a time, so I'm often cleaning mine. If I were making several, or many, marks at a time, the stencils would last longer. If I were a little more coordinated, the stencils would last longer. If you make up a stencil, and mark many objects in succession, it should last 50 to 100 marks. The stencils you order from them last several times that. You can make the stronger stencils with the addition of the UV developer kit, but that is higher front-end cost. You will save in the long run by buying the developing kit, after getting your volume up.

Pops