Need Nagant parts....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 1:41:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Need Nagant parts....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've started a side hobby of restoring "parts guns" Nagants from Century and SOG...got some decent Poles in from Century, but both are missing nosecaps...one in fact is ALL matching...

I've checked with Numrich, Sarco, and Tapco, nobody has them....seems between them I can get JUST ABOUT any part I need for a price, but nobody has these...any suggestions? I could also make one from a 91/30 work....

I also need a couple of handguards, (doesn't everybody?)but I can repair one of these, BUT that one is missing the front sheetmetal end....

Any suggestions? Replacement handguards are SO darn expensive, more than I paid for the rifles...

This is keeping me busy while I'm unemployed, maybe make me a few bucks on the side to let me buy "real" ones, and I think there is a market for "cheap" restored shooters, that is all I'm going to represent these as...

But I also think I'm doing my historical duty, putting these "cast-offs" back in service...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 5:30:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Need Nagant parts....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been considering doing the "U-Fix-Ems" from Century. Several folks here locally have told me they had excellent results - in fact, several of the rifles had no problems at all. Also, I have heard tales of excellent condition all matching rifles, just need to replace handguards or minor parts. With my luck, I would probably get the crap at the bottom of the barrel. At least, that is my experience with Century.

I'll keep my eyes open for the parts you need. Those handguards on the M44s are paper thin, and I can see why they are the most common broken and missing parts from these.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 10:58:57 am)
    I got two Polish with bolts and one Russian without a bolt...one of the poles had a Hungarian Stock, solid, missing an escutcheon and the nose cap. BUT it was ALL MATCHING, about 60% with slight pitting, even the stock had the serial number, but an "02" on the other side which is Hungarian,HHmmmm...

The handguard looked like it had been factory repaired...a thin veneer of wood was glued to the inside, which made it solid...small visible crack on the outside, but no seperation visible. I THINK you could get veneer wood like that at Hobby Lobby to fix other slightly cracked ones...

The other Pole was a mismatch, stock was nicer, but the toe was broken off like happens a lot and NAILED on. I pulled the nails, and epoxied it and it looks like a typical factory repair, but with filler in the damn nail holes, but a dark stain should make it look OK. I'll use it on the matching Pole. It too had no cap. the hand guard was solid, but missing the front sheetmetal, may have to fabricate an end...

The Russian 1946 without bolt was REALLY sweet, even had the rod. It was missing the handguard, one band, and the front site, BUT it looked almost new, wood solid, blonde, almost no dings, metal almost 100%!

The mismatched pole had NO number on the bolt, looked like it was ground off a while ago. SO I put it on the Russky...

I put the sight from the pole on the Russky, the good guard and a band, and shot it yesterday after tieing it to a tire for three rounds...shoots fine...

SOOooo...for about $60 total, with shipping, I should end up with two "shooters" worth about $50-$60 each, depending on how well I refinish the wood...plus end up with another action, stock and misc parts....

You know, I've found that a typical "ratty" stock ends up looking really nice if you sand it up a little, try and lift the bigger dings, but STAIN it a Dark Walnut...it hides most of the dings really nicely, and ends up looking like a dark Pole or Hungarian factory stock...in fact, they sometimes end up looking better than the "nice" ones I usually leave blonde....

I just may just order some more today...

What the heck, it's fun to just have an excuse to fondle "new" Nagants....and when my wife heard how much I paid for them, she didn't even seem to mind! (As long as I vacuum up the sanding dust in the kitchen... )
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Enfield Von Mauser
    (2/11/02 11:54:19 am)
    I ordered 9 of the $9.87 Century Ufixems. They sent me 6, and when I asked about the other 3, they said that I ordered 6, I signed for 6, so I got 6 and that was it. This "Jennifer" in billing is one rude bi*ch. Of the 6 I got, 5 had the stock heel missing, 5 had missing bolts, and the usual assortment of other missing small parts. What did I expect for $9.87 you say? Well, did I mention they charged me $195 for 6 $9.87 rifles? Got an attitude from "Jennifer" about the overcharge too. I'll be buying elsewhere from now on. Mistakes happen, but a combative attitude is unacceptable.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock" Will Rogers

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 2:01:31 pm)
    You know, I never checked the invoice....gotta go...

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 2:02:38 pm)
    I am a bit leary of Century also. A little over a year ago, I ordered twenty VZ24 bayonets that were rated as "good to very good" condition. What I got wouldn't even rate as poor. More than half had wood missing from the grips, and they were overall beat, bent and nasty. I faxed them a letter complaining about it, and never got a response. I didn't order anything from them for about a year, then called them one day to order some ammo. The sales guy said he couldn't find me in their computer (probably black balled me after my complaint letter) took my telephone number, and said he would get back to me. They never called back.

Last week I mailed off an order to them for some Enfield magazines and some books - lets see if that ever shows up!

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 2:26:20 pm)
    Well, the invoice was attached to one of the boxes, I missed it.

Exactly as ordered, so I guess I lucked out.

That was my first order from them, everything fine. My salesgirl was "Gitta," she seemed to have a problem with English...maybe she got mine right because she noticed the last name, "Kamerad!"

Anyway, I remember the conversation, at first my order was less than $50, so I had to order something else...(Got Lapin's MN book, I needed it anyway) and I asked about a .32ACP cylinder for my Nagant revolver...she said they were all pulled and sent back because they didn't work right...most wouldn't rotate properly...

Good thing I didn't order one when I wanted to, and I had noticed they quit selling them, and was kicking myself when they were no longer listed...

I wonder if the ones SOG advertises for like $47 work?

Enfield, you actually got BOLTS with your $9.87 M44s?

That surprises me....HHmmmm...What about handguards? Did you get any with them? And nosecaps?...

Heck I just may order 5-6 more at that price, just to have around for parts, maybe I'll get lucky and get the parts I need at least for the rifles I have just about ready...

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 3:33:24 pm)
    Gitta used to call and leave messages for me on specials - I always knew who it was immediately when I played back the answering machine. She does have a thick accent. Maybe I need to call and talk to her to get things straightened out. I used to get some good stuff from Century back in the early 1980s, but from about 1993 on they seem to have gotten too big fer their britches and tend to disregard the little guy.

Enfield Von Mauser
    (2/11/02 4:07:46 pm)
    polishshooter, got so irritated reliving my Century nightmare that I forgot why I was replying. I'd be happy to send you a nosecap (with the screw!) if you email me your address. I looked at them (the 6 ufixums) once and put the back in their boxes 'til I had more time. I don't think any handguards were there, and only one bolt. I did notice one that had magnificent bluing on receiver and barrel. May make a very nice M44 some day. As far as my rant goes, I paid $9.87 each and got what I got. No problem. My complaint is with the rude way I was treated. Anyway, let me know if you want the nosecap, I have Romanian and Soviet if it matters. EvM
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock" Will Rogers

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 7:31:59 pm)
    Polish - Have you tried TAPCO for the parts you need? They sure list a lot of MN parts-----

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 11:51:49 pm)
    EVM, you have mail! Thanks...

Bob, Tapco has alot of parts, but mostly Finnish...but I haven't seen any "parts" M39s out there, have you? The only nosecap they have is for the M39...

They seem to be the cheapest for bolts, though, but $29.99 is pretty steap...add $30 plus S/H to the $9.87 rifle and I could have bought a VG/complete one from SOG!

SOMEWHERE I once saw $20 bolts, I wish I could remember where...and I also have to buy a go-no go guage somewhere...I tested the one I put a bolt on by the "tie to a tire" method, but was thinking even if that IS safe, if it blows, I'm completely out of the rifle...a guage would be cheaper and easier...

But then, why do I feel comfortable shooting ANY mismatched bolt MNs? I mean, SOMEBODY switched them, and probably with as much aforethought as ME. (scary)

BTW, the bolt I pulled out of the mismatched Polish and put in the Russian is stamped "02," which is Hungarian...talk about cobbled together....but the Russians musta listened to Eli Whitney...

... it worked fine

starting to believe all that crap I've been spouting that headspace isn't that much of an issue with rimmed rounds... Maybe it WASN'T just wishful conjecture...but again, has ANYBODY heard of a Nagant blowing? I haven't...and with 17M of just the 91/30s out there, there must have been (still is?) ALOT of chances to find out...

Enfield Von Mauser
    (3/28/02 9:02:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hey polishshooter!!
    I lost your email address. Send it to me please and we can do some tradin'. You need parts?... I got parts.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 10:43:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey polishshooter!!
    Polishcruffler@yahoo.com

Currently I need some sear spring/bolt stops pretty badly, one 44 I just got in didn't have one, only one of the cheap stripped Russians I got last time had one, and I had to scavenge that for one of the Polish that I just sold, so I was at "-1" already, then out of the blue one of my personal "shooters" broke one, so I just "scavenged" another one today from an action I'm currently refinishing the stock on, to put it back into action, so I'm now at "-2." (I think I found out what's the weakest link in the Nagant action...)(Piece of cake to replace though..., the more I work on them, the more I am amazed how simple and foolproof they are!) Typical Russian design...combine two major jobs into one part, and eliminate several parts AND screws...Mauser would have used three parts and a spring, an Enfield would use about ten and a "special tool" adjuster to do the two different functions... ))

Was thinking of sending an order out to Sarco or somewhere soon...I need to order some bolts anyway...I have about three boltless actions that are in fine shape.

The other thing I'm short on is magazine housing screws, especially the shorter front one...for some reason I just got two in with it missing...

But I'm interested in anything you have, I'm trying to "stock a toolbox" so I'm ahead on parts...

I just bought two fine handguards at a really nice price from Lasher, so I'm doing OK in that regard, but I'm short a stock or two though....have two really nice but cracked ones waiting for some epoxy to set up as we speak....don't know how they are going to turn out...I'd rather have a dinged and chipped one that's solid than a "nice" one with a crack any day of the week, I can make them "look" good no matter what, but don't know yet if I can make them solid...

EVM, did you get my package?
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Enfield Von Mauser
    (3/28/02 11:49:02 pm)
    polishshooter, Yes I did get your package. It came today. Thank you very much, was delighted to get it. I've got some mauser ones but no Mosin types. It looks good with my Romanian M44. I'll check tomorrow to see if I have any sear spring/bolt stops around. I bet I do.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/29/02 10:17:26 pm)
    Ha, EVM, those pouches ARE Romanian! They supposedly used the M44 longer than anybody else, and those pouches are Romanian M44 pouches...the last batch I got even had a crumpled up package of Romanian cigarettes, with one busted cigarette left, along with a pack of Romanian matches, from some tobacco company in Bucharest in one. I saved them...

Another had some type of biscuit wrappers in it, and several came stuffed with Romanian Army quartermaster food inventory forms.

I have a couple stamped 1943 that are really worn, I'm saving them, but the rest that are stamped are mostly 1952 and 53...but some have the soldiers name, unit, and/or date written in them, latest I saw says 1983...so I have to assume 44s were issue to Romanian troops at least until then.

And they hold 4 stripper clips of x54 perfectly if all clips are up, 5 if you alternate three up, two upside down....

BTW, that last batch of nearly new leather dog collar Nagant slings that were available pretty reasonably all had the same markings on them...I have them on most of my rifles, wish I would have saved more of them, because they suddenly disappeared, but they match the pouches....

I'd like to track down more of them....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 9:19:10 am)
    Those dog collar slings are going at $23 to $25 from the distributors! Dang, they are expensive!

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/30/02 10:51:36 pm)
    Hey Polish, it's MO! I've got some spare Nagant parts around..down in my basement somewhere. I think I have a complete bolt(wolff spring), Trigger guard (complete), buttplate,and God knows what else. Oh yeah, I have one of those Centerfire Systems scope mounts(never used). Anyway, tomorrow is Easter, so give me a couple of days to find this stuff. I'll let you know what I find. Maybe we can trade some stuff, or I'll sell it to you for a REDICULOUSLY low price.....(No B.S.!)
    Your Buddy,
    MO

runabout199
    (3/31/02 10:52:18 am)
    sog has 91/30's so cheep right now id just buy about ten of them and make about 8 really nice ones
    semper fi

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/31/02 7:40:26 pm)
    MO, haven't talked to you in awhile!

Let me know what you have...

Yeah, SOG has them, but they all say cracked stock or handguards....it's tougher to track them down than wood for 44s....

walter in florida
    (3/31/02 8:57:52 pm)
    Polishshooter, I was looking at Marstar Canada and remembered you needed some parts for UFixUm MNs. They have complete bolts for 30.00 Canadian. I don' remember if they had handguards.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/1/02 11:38:04 am)
    Walter, what is the link for Marstar, I don't have it...

...and lets see, $30 Canadien is like $5.38 American, right?

Used to spend a lot of time in Canada when I lived near Buffalo...got quite a kick out of the exchange rate...ESPECIALLY the little shops or gas stations that thought you were a rube from the states and would say "Thank you" and walk away when you paid them $10 US for something that was $10 Canadien...

Back during the Carter era "Gas Shortages" when Gas was hitting $1.50 to $2.00 a gallon on THIS side of the border, and there were lines for that...you could pay the .35 to cross the Peace Bridge, and buy gas in Canada for $1.20 CANADIEN for an imperial gallon...with the exchange rate it was like .75 a US Gallon...and all the stations that gave the exchange had lines of cars with NY plates at them...so the trick was to carry about $25 Canadien in your wallet at all times and go to the smaller stations that didn't exchange...cheap gas, no waiting....

Always made you wonder just how hokey the whole "Gas Shortage" was....

Page 1 2 walter in florida
    (4/1/02 12:48:18 pm)
    Polishshooter, I think it would be a little more than 5.38 maybe closer to 20.00. I went to marstar canada on googles and punch up their home site. On the left brought up catalog and brought up rifle parts. They got mostly Enfield parts. I do not know if you need a BATF form 6 because it for complete guns and ammo. When I was stationed in Canada I was bringing back about 4 gallons of real cheap booze and a shot Gun. I was at customs for about 30 minutes, took 3 gallons of booze and asked if I got anything else. I said a shot gun. He said, close that trunk and get out of here. He must have been a hunter.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/2/02 12:01:54 am)
    Yeah, when I was in my teens we used to go to Canada every year, with some cousins and their family, towing our boat, bought the duty free CC Liters on the way over the bridge, then filled the boat with Molson Party cases at the first Brewers Retail in Ontario we found, then a 5 hour drive north of Toronto for a week of Walleye and Northern Pike fishing all day, pinochle and drinking all night...

About the third year, Dad decided to be "honest" when crossing back over (Used to say "nothing" when they asked if we bought anything, and never got searched, even though the boat was usually filled with new cases of Molson after turning in the empties on the way home, and any leftover whiskey...) We only had 3 cases of beer, and my sister had just turned 18 which was the drinking age in NY, you are allowed 1 case per person over the age...so Dad says "Beer and Cheese"...US customs asks my sister her age...it was one per person over drinking age in CANADA (21,) Dad had to pay like $12 or $15 Duty on that one case, and it took like two hours to do the paperwork...he said he would NEVER be honest with them again after that...

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/2/02 12:36:16 pm)
    Walter, just called Marstar today, they are out of MN bolts...crap...did the currency conversion on their site and that $30 C was only $18.89 US, best price so far, probably why they are sold out. And shipping was only about $7 US for 3 kilos...

God I love Canada....

Reminds me of the time we drove my sister to Windsor for training for a new job, crossed into Canada at the Peace Bridge, I was driving, Dad sees the sign "Speed Limit 85" and goes, "Boy we can really make time now!

After about 30 miles of FLYING down a curvy two lane road that seemed just a little too fast...then I remembered Canada had gone metric since the last time we had been there...lucky I caught it before I had to explain it to the OPP..

And trying to explain it to my stubborn Polish Dad who had to leave school after the 8th grade during the depression was fun too..."Who the hell in their right mind measures things in 6/10s of a MILE????"

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 4:09:37 pm)
    Hey Polish,
    I found that Nagant bolt, also got a trigger housing/mag(complete) and a centerfire systems Nagant scope mount(still in package). I want to get rid of all of it in one fell swoop. Anyway, my email is dunns4@msn.com. If you want it all for cheap, say $30, let me know. I'll ship it to you, if you like it you can keep it and pay me. If you don't like it just send it back.
    Your Buddy,
    MO
    P.S.
    Please put your name(Polish) in the "subject" header of the email, because I only open email from people I know!
    Talk to you soon.
    MO

Edited by: MO JENKINS at: 4/3/02 4:16:39 pm

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/3/02 8:31:58 pm)
    Mo is da MAN!

Check your email Mo, I'll get a check in the mail tomorrow....

The guy came through with the money for the Mauser this week so I'm temporarily solvent again...