need new sights

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lousyshot, Mar 11, 2011.

1. lousyshot

lousyshot New Member

I am new to this forum and fairly new to my series 70 colt government 45. I bought it used about 30 years ago and haven't shot it much in the last 25. I drug it outlast week and shot it some and found out some things. First was that it occasionly gets stovepipes or slightly dents the mouth of the brass. From your forum I have already learned this could be from probably the recoil spring or the reloads I was shooting.
    My next problem is the sights. The front sight is original, a small little curved piece of metal staked into the slide. The rear sight looks like it has been replaced and kind of beat up. When I shot it recently it was at 50 yards and upon checking the results it shot about a foot low. At 25yards it was still about 6" low. The gun appears to be in good condition, no rust, nice blueing with a few scratches and wear marks. I would like to replace the rear sight to get it shooting closet to the bulleye. I prefer to keep the sights non adjustable. After looking at my midway catalog I don;t know where to start. What rear sight would be compatable with the stock front sight What should the height be? I don't want to spend alot on this gun as it is just a plinker to me. Thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, one nice "plinker" you've got! I sent you a PM with a link on some sights. There are alot of options out there, but if you just want a decent set of fixed sights, you can find them readily available from most anywhere. I'll check the specs on the front sight height, not sure what it is off-hand.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The original front sight may be to low to match anything up to. Here is an original colt spec rear. Personally I would replace both. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=160706 The higher rear will make your POI higher but any adjustment to the front may be hard to do depending on how much is left of it.
    There are several dovetail sizes but the series 70's dovetail cuts are known as Colt or GI spec. So get the set that is for GI or colt with narrow front tenon.
    Like this one. Its backordered but this is the description your looking for
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=536292
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011