Need Opinions Please

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Mike1959, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Mike... if you have the time, look for a gun show in your area. that way you are almost assured to ge able tolet her handle the majority of what is available.

Also, since you mentioned possibly moving her up to a 380 or 9mm later on, have you considered (should you find 9mm that she likes) getting a pistol that has a big brother?

for example there are 1911's in 22lr that are almost idenitcal in size & weight as the .45
    or maybe a glock? like the 26 or something.

Anyway if this even remotely interests the two of you, lookup 22 conversions, see what models that are offered and then have her test out the full size model that the conversion fits on. I did this with a GF that had a mental block on shooting a full size glock. She liked the size weight and feel but was deathly afraid of shooting it. i purchased a 22lr conversion for one of mine and let her shoot it at the range for about a year worth of trips. then i asked her to try it with the 9mm slide. she bought one the next payday and we shot the 9mm's together until the time she moved because of her work.

It may be worth a try.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's a good idea, Curlyjoe.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My wife hated her Walther P-22 as it would stovepipe and fail to eject every other shot or so. When I fired it it always worked great. I found that she wasnt holding it tight,(limp wristing). Now she holds it tight and no problems, works perfectly. There isnt enough oomph in a .22 round to cycle when you hold it loose.
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Tom357 welcome to the forum. You've found a great place to be. Glad to have you on board.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i would also go to gun store i like Walther p22 and the Mark 111
  6. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

check out the ruger single six. It has small grips.
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I have very limited experience with Walther's recent design .22 LR pistols. I cannot and do not recommend them; especially the P22 family.

The Bersa .22 LR close copy of a Walther PP is a good pistol for cheap practical pistol (aka self-defense) practice. I have not evaluated the new Ruger pistol designed for this market.

The Ruger 22/45 remains likely the most gun for the least money in a target/utility pistol catergory.
  8. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

You should have her try the sig Mosquito or the walther p22. I wanted either one of them but they were way too small for my hands.:D
  9. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

Thanks to all who have replied. I think we have narrowed our search down to the P22 and the bersa. Just doing some research now on function and reliability. Gunclinger a loose grip with my wife is definately not going to be an issue, its more a case of getting her to ease up a bit lol.
  10. HammondShooter

HammondShooter New Member

When she wants to move up to a 9mm get her to try a Ruger SR9. I have short, stubby hands for a guy and it fits me well. You can flip the curved back of the grip insert for even more room. It is a double-stack (16+1, I think), yet it fits smaller hands well due to its design.

Shane
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

As this question [of similar sorts] keeps popping up and Carver gives the correct answer......this answer should be in a 'sticky' or better yet......
    some way......when anyone asks [which gun?]....this answer should automatically be what Carver said......
    GO TO/TAKE HER TO......AND HOLD/HAVE HER HOLD AS MANY GUNS AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU PURCHASE.....
    you will be glad you did......:D
  12. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

You may want to look at the Ruger Bearcat. I have one an carry it for yard work and fun, small, reliable, and fun to shoot.
    fred

PS keep us posted.
  13. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I have read 2 articles on the new Ruger Lite 22/45 and both were positive. You surely could get some nice grips that she would love for that and it sounds like a blast to handle. I would see if you could find one of these for her to check out. I love the Ruger and Browning semi-auto .22s period, can't go wrong with either one.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so Mike what did your wife get