Need owners manual for Stevens 87A

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hkruss, Feb 26, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Any one know where I can find one? I tried Numrichs', no luck. Any other ideas? HKR
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I think I have one.

I'll look for you later, I think it might be on my laptop. I had a hard drive meltdown here on my desktop computer a few weeks ago and lost a lot of good info and pictures. But I think I did see a few 87A manual pages on the laptop the other day. If so, I'll post them.
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Sorry, I looked but didn't find it. I guess I lost it too.

But I did find a parts breakdown for the Savage 6. The Savage 6 series, the Stevens 87a and the Springfield 87a and almost the same.

What were you hoping to find in the manual? I have owned and worked on these rifles, maybe I can help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Hey Gunhugger! Thanks for looking. I mostly want to know how to disassemble the rifle for cleaning. This rifle belonged to my late father, so it is priceless to me. I don't want to screw something up by blindly taking it apart!! If you can give me some pointers, I would REALLY appreciate it! One request. Keep it simple please! I have some basic knowledge of guns and gun function, but compared to most of the folks here, my knowledge is limited. Scale of 1-10, I'm probably around 3 or 4.
    Thanks for any help you can give! HKR
  5. Griffeycom

Griffeycom New Member

Unscrew the bottom screw, the stock will come off the rest of the gun. You can get a lot of cleaning done right there.

You can also unscrew the cap at the end, be careful that the gun is not cocked or the spring will throw the cap back. Actually, right now I'm kind of blanking on how to remove the bolt and slide everything else out. It's late and I'll try to figure it out and post the rest tomorrow. Basically though, you can't mess it up, just watch how it comes out and make sure you put it back the way it was.

The first time I removed mine I forgot how it came out but there are only a few ways to try to put it back together, so it doesn't take long before you've got it.
  6. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

hey hkruss,

this website has a few component catalogs for the stevens 87a. they dont have specific takedown instructions, but they do show exploded views that should help. just search the site for stevens 87a in the google box at the top.

http://www.cornellpubs.com/
  7. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

you can email them and ask about an owner's manual too.
  8. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks to all!!
  9. eebee4

eebee4 New Member

any success in finding a manual? I am looking too.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

11. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Nah, I tried the CornellPubs and Stevespages again. No luck.

12. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Field-strip for cleaning:

Remove the inner magazine tube and cycle the action several times.

Separate the barrelled action from the stock by unscrewing the large takedown screw on the bottom of the stock.

Unscrew the recoil plug from the rear of the rifle. Note this will be under considerable spring tension because the rifle is cocked. You can dry fire the rifle to relieve that tension, but dryfiring this rifle is not generally recommended.

Remove the hammer assembly from the rear of the rifle, the firing pin will come with it.

Slide the bolt to the rear until the operating handle lines up with a cutout in the receiver, then remove it to the right.

Slide the bolt to the rear and out of the gun. You may think it is stuck, but push a little bit. You are pressing down a plunger against a spring as the bolt moves rearward.

We do not recommend any further disassembly by the user.
  13. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks VERY much Stonechimney!

I really appreciate you. HK

14. jschonfarber

jschonfarber New Member

I have an 87a and to remove the bolt you must slide the firing pin and hammer out first then remove the bolt handle. The you can slide the bolt backwards while simultaneously pulling the trigger to allow it to drop free. You also have to pull the trigger to put it back in.
  15. DR ZOIDBERG

DR ZOIDBERG New Member

I found one for my Stevens 87B. It is only 2 pages. You can tell it was before the lawyers got involved. If you want a copy let me know. On a side note my 87B would jam a bit. The manual noted using greased ammo. I did a little research and it seems I should be using copper jacketed ammo. The ammo I was using was just lead without the copper. That may help, I have not used any yet. I need to break it down and do a good cleaning. I love these old 22's, my Dad got it in the early 50's.

I have been a long time lurker on the site and thought I would join in.