The Firearms Forum banner

Need recipe/technique for Elk backstraps

5K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Liberty1776 
#1 ·
Hi.
A friend gave me 2 frozen butterflied elk backstraps which I promptly rewrapped, vac packed, and refroze.

Now, I need to know the best way to cook them so I don't ruin them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Phil

#2 ·
Never done Elk

red stag and camel yeah , big is problematic eh ..

i go medallions or steaks ....

Cut medallions about 1-inch thick from the back strap

put the medallions in a bowl that has a lid.

mix up equal portions of Worcestershire sauce and Italian dressing in a measuring cup and mix well to start the the marinade ( i add coriander chilli's and lemon juice but thats me ..)

Pour the marinade over the steak medallions in the bowl. Move the medallions down into the marinade, so that they are all completely covered. put lid on the bowl tightly. Allow the meat to remain in the marinade at least 6 hours or overnight.

Pour about ½ inch of cooking oil and bacon fat mix in a heavy skillet and heat it on the stovetop at medium high heat. When the oil has a bright sheen, it is hot enough.

Remove the steak medallions from the marinade and place them on a platter. Sprinkle both sides of each medallion with course black pepper and press the pepper into the meat. i've also added sesame seeds and wattle seeds ..

Add the medallions gently to the hot cooking oil and cook each one about 3 minutes per side. Remove the cooked medallions and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.

cant mess this one up

#3 ·
Worcestershire Sauce, Seasoned Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper.

Thaw the steaks, sprinkle liberally with Worcestershire Sauce and let marinate for 30 minutes refrigerated. Before throwing onto the grill or hot cast iron skillet, season with chef's salt (seasoned salt) and fresh cracked pepper.

Cook to no more than medium with a good amount of pink. Before doing the steaks, cook some wild rice with onion and salt & pepper. Saute` the mushrooms of choice and keep warm and serve with the steaks and a salad.

Peace

#5 ·
Try this:

Melt 3 TBS. butter in a sauce pan, and then add 3 TBS. of soy sauce and 3 TBS brown sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Keep warm and once your coals are ready place back straps on grill sear on one side, flip and spread on the mixture. Cook and flip basting in mixture until done. Let rest and serve with remaining sauce, if any is.

I have never had elk so not sure if the taste is similar to deer or not. This is what I do with my deer back straps. I leave my deer backs straps whole, but cut them down into 5-6 inch pieces depending on the size. I grill them on direct heat on a charcoal grill to rare and remove from the grill then cover with foil and let rest 10-15 mins. before serving. While they cook I baste them with a mixture of equal parts butter, soy sauce, and brown sugar.

#7 ·
Venison (deer) the following works good--elk may take longer since the must be bigger-

thaw thoroughly-no icy middles. Rinse thoroughly, soak in cola for 2 hrs..

Get the grill HOT-max for 8 min-turn down to about 3/4 heat and place meat directly above fire for 15-16 min. No need to turn-just keep the lid closed so the heat stays in. You want to eat while a little red in the middle.

most venison is over cooked and gets tough.

#8 · (Edited)
Elk Kabobs
Cut meat into cubes
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
Cherry tomatoes
Mushrooms (wild ones) store bought work

Marinade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2T. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry or prepared mustard

Mix marinade ingrediencts together. pore over meat and refridgerate for 8-24 hours. Shake or stir occasionally(at least every 4 hours) Place cubes on skewer, alt.the veggies. Grill to desiterd doness.

I like to pour a little bit of Jack Danel's in with it to give it a bit of a kick.

#9 ·
Elk Kabobs
Cut meat into cubes
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
Cherry tomatoes
Mushrooms (wild ones) store bought work

Marinade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2T. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry or prepared mustard

Mix marinade ingrediencts together. pore over meat and refridgerate for 8-24 hours. Shake or stir occasionally(at least every 4 hours) Place cubes on skewer, alt.the veggies. Grill to desiterd doness.

I like to pour a little bit of Jack Danel's in with it to give it a bit of a kick.
It looks good delicious

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.