1. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

need recipe for brunswick stew & venison

I'm looking for a good recipe for brunswick stew to feed about 100 people.
    Thanks
    ISB
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have one that will fill your needs but , it's still in Ga. My wife is going back to our place on Sunday and will bring it back, so I'll post the recipe next week. Hope you can hold out that long. :D
  3. IShootBack

I'm not in a rush. I am looking ahead to Janurary match when I'll be feed a mess of hungry cold people.

Thanks Shooter
  4. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Dunno if this will help. It doesn't specify how many it will actually feed, but sure looks like a crowd....

Brunswick Stew Recipe courtesy Guerry Norwood
    Show: Calling All Cooks
    Episode: Lebanese Cooking/Brunswick Stew

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 32 hours 30 minutes

One 4 pound Chicken
    3 pounds pork loin
    1 tablespoon salt
    5 ounces Worcestershire sauce
    4 ounces wine vinegar
    4 ounces rice vinegar
    2 large cans whole tomatos
    1 small red pepper, seeded
    4 large Vidalia onion
    16 ears white corn, shucked, boiled, kernels removed
    2 (10-ounce) packages frozen lima beans
    2 (10-ounce) packages frozen okra
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen black eyed peas
    6 medium garlic cloves minced
    8 chicken broth bouillon cubes
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    32 ounces ketchup
    10 ounces steak sauce
    3 large lemons, juiced
    1 dash extra hot pepper sauce

In a large pot or Dutch oven, over very low heat, cook chicken and pork over very low heat in seasoned water (salt, Worcestershire sauce, wine vinegar, rice vinegar and 1 quart water), covered, overnight. Next day pick meat from bone and pulse in food processor to small pieces. Then add back to the stock. To food processor pulse into small pieces tomatoes, red pepper, onions, corn, lima beans, okra and black eyed peas, and add them along with garlic cloves and bouillon cubes to stock. Then add hot pepper sauce, mustard, ketchup, steak sauce, lemon juice. Cook slowly on top of the stove, covered, stirring every 30 minutes or so for 8 hours. Stir in the extra hot pepper sauce. Then refrigerate for 24 hours and re-heat before serving.
  5. IShootBack

Thanks for the recipe.

I found some interresting history regarding the stew.

Brunswick Stew is a traditional favorite with Southern roots, and you'll find it served with barbecue in some regions. Whether you like yours with chicken, squirrel, rabbit, or pork, it's all good.

Origins

According to one story, Brunswick stew was named for Brunswick County, Virginia, where in 1828 Dr. Creed Haskins of the Virginia state legislature asked for a special squirrel stew from "Uncle Jimmy" Matthews to feed people attending a political rally. Brunswick, Georgia residents claim their stew is the original. It's just as likely the stew - at least a very similar version - was created much earlier. With the original ingredients of game (usually squirrel) and corn, and long simmering over an open fire, it's typical of early native dishes.

Brunswick stew is now most commonly made with chicken, or a combination of several meats, which might include rabbit, beef, and pork. Onions, corn, and tomatoes are usually included, and many recipes call for lima beans, peas, and/or okra.