Need Recommendations re gun auction houses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sck, May 10, 2006.

1. sck

sck Member

Unfortunately, I have to sell all of my guns and even though I've done it for other folks dozens of times over the years, I just can't bring myself to spend untold weekends sitting behind tables at gun shows until they're all gone Consequently, I'm considering putting everything with one of the large gun auction houses. So far I've talked to Rock Island and they want a minimum of 17 1/2% and as much as 25% and they get to decide which it will be. To say I was shocked at such a high percentage would be an understatement. Does anyone have any experience selling things with the large gun auction houses? How did it go? All your thoughts and details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

3. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

I'm sorry to hear you have to sell your guns. Have you thought of listing them here on TFF?

What do have for sale?
    Last edited: May 10, 2006
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=199255

The purpose of this link is not to highlight the poor fellows plight, but to illustrate the reputation gunbroker has gained over the past few years.

I agree on listing them here and giving us a chance first. :D

Pops
  5. sck

sck Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes, I'm aware of most of the on-line auction sites, but I'm just not up to dealing with all the hoops and headaches of trying to sell this stuff myself. I'm simply not healthy enough to do it, but the high percentages that the auction houses are giving me have left me with second thoughts. I still want to hear from a few more places and have an appointment to take a look at one local auctioneer tomorrow. Going to see Wes Cowan who some of you may have seen on PBS. He doesn't specialize in guns, but seems to have a pretty nice operation, offering traditional paper catalogues and online listings as well. If any of you have had experience with Martin, Devine, or Amoskeag please let me know. Thanks again.
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Good luck to you sir.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sorry, can’t help you with any information on the “big” auction houses. I have refused to pay their fees in the past.

A WELL advertised “local” auction will often bring more than retail for used firearms. The killer here is, the percentages they charge. (I have seen more than 50% with some) When all is said and done, you end up with about half of what the firearms are worth.

Isn’t there anyone who could help you list, and ship, the firearms, so you could do it online? ( I don't know that I could find anyone, should the need arise) While Auction Arms charges a listing fee and GunBroker doesn’t, even after their fees, either one would “net” you more than paying the outrageous percentages charged by any of the auction houses.

I understand wanting to get rid of them all at once, and auctioning them rather than listing them with a price “could” bring in more money. You might be surprised at what would be offered if you provide a list here, of what is going on the auction block. Then again, maybe not.

Sorry to hear this is a necessity, but I will wish you GOOD luck with your endeavor. Whatever it may be.
  8. sck

sck Member

Once again, please accecpt my sincere thanks all for your thoughts, concern and advise.
  9. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I don't know about where you live but around here the local SMALLER gun shops will sell your guns for 10% consignment and they do all the paper work.
    Ron