need some advice o home protection

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by firecop19, May 1, 2010.

1. firecop19

firecop19 New Member

currently in the house I have a .357 revolver and a S$W M&P .40 for daily carry and protection. I have come to realize lighting off either of these in the house if necessary may not be one my most brightest ideas. Enter the shotgun.
    can enyone point me in the correct direction for personal protection with a shotgun in the house. I understand mossberg makes a jic shotgun for survival fellas, is it any good for the house !
  2. big steve

big steve New Member

There is a shotgun called the home defender I believe Remington makes it one of those makes a nice home protection tool.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The shotgun will be louder than either the .357 or .40.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Just a question/thought here...is that for the fact that it's inside? Ive never shot either inside, but just about ruined my hearing with a .357mag oustide and my friend was shooting a 12ga beside me. That's the reason I asked.
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Yep, the sound bouncing off of the walls will be much louder than the muzzle.
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

With all things being equal IE: wearing hearing protection or not, firearms will treat your ears much worse when firing indoors as opposed to outdoors.

In a self-defense situation in the home you probably won't be using hearing protection on the chance you may have to shoot. It's quite possible however that if you did have to fire your weapon you might not be affected by the loudness of the blast until a bit after the fact.
    On the other hand if you were to conduct a little test and fire either a .357mag load or a 12ga indoors w/o ear protection, your ears will know it instantly and may just keep on reminding you for days.
  7. cakes

cakes New Member

Unfortunately, I have fired a few rounds of .40 indoors w/o hearing protection. My ears rang for a long time, but that was the very least of my worries. Point being: noise should not be a consideration when choosing a firearm for self defense. All guns are loud when fired indoors.
  8. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Well, heck. Hate to point out the obvious, but why don't you buy shot shells for the .357 mag? That's what I do. They are expensive, but if you are only using them for self protection in your home, they are the best bet. Any intruder won't know what the gun is loaded with. The shotshells are safer in home protection in an urban area with close neighbors or with multiple people in your home. You don't want a round to travel through walls and take out someone you weren't intending to shoot. Also, accuracy is more of an issue in home protection when you are shooting in potentially low light/high stress situations. A shotshell will have a wider pattern and still be more than effective in close range.

If you prefer, you can alternate shotshell with regular loads, with the shotshell the first to fall under the hammer. Put them down and stop them, then make sure with the bullet if you need to.
  9. dianalv

dianalv New Member

As an addendum to the above post, I tried living with my 12 ga for protection and decided it just wasn't practical in my particular case. Can't go carting it around the house everywhere and it's difficult to sleep with. My .357 mag turned into a "Judge" was a perfect solution to the problem. I didn't want to go to jail for trying to shoot an intruder with a magnum round and taking out a neighbor in the process. Living in the city imposes different solutions to self protection in the home.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Strictly personal opinion here but I keep a loaded revolver by the bed and a Mossberg 20 gauge leaning up against the door frame.

I like the straight stock better than the pistol grip stock and the 20" barrel. Auditory exclusion will mean you probably won't even hear the first shot but you will pay for it later. I sleep with a radio on for that reason.

Important thing is even a 2 3/4" shot shell loaded with 1 oz of #4 shot at 1300 fps is going to make boogerman wish he had picked a different occupation or at least another house. 6' or 20' the shot spread won't be that much so a sight is recommended. I have a low power scope on one and hi viz rifle sights on the other, both are quick to attain and both give me good accuracy out to 30 yards. You won't be shooting that far and chances are the hole in your barrel will probably convince your target to please not shoot at all.

I also have a Winchester 12 gauge semi-auto with 18" barrel and a full choke but its my 3rd back up, a little bit of overkill and that sucker is loud because the previous owner had ported it. I wish he hadn't but what is done is done. I just prefer the Mossberg pump actions because I have so much more shooting time with them that its automatic.
  11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Pistol shotshell rounds are designed for shooting pests, not people. They are inadequate for home defense.
  12. dianalv

dianalv New Member

You don't think alternated with .357 rounds they would be sufficient? The distance would be less than 10 feet in just about any scenario I can picture in my own home. It's a good point, though. I'll have to take them out and see exactly what they can do in close range. I don't feel too comfortable loading .357 mags around here. Too many small children and thin walls. Shotguns are just too cumbersome to be practical. If it's not handy when you need it, there's no point.
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    maybe im wrong but i dont think the noise is what your talking about,shooting a handgun indoors is also hazardous to your neighbors.a shotgun is the ticket for indoors,aiming is not necessary if its pointed in the right direction.i use number four shot or 00 buck.any shotgun with a shorter barrel is the ticket.pistols are good only until you can get to a long gun.otherwise you would see cops going in with handguns instead of rifles or shotguns old semperfi
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    A shotgun is always a better choice for SD than a pistol of any kind, just as a rifle is better than a shotgun. All guns make a lot of noise, and this is amplified in doors. Shoot shells for SD hand guns is never a good idea, they just might get you killed! Inside of twenty feet there will be no pattern spread to speak of with a shotgun, so it must be aimed to some degree, or a total miss is the most likely result, just as with a handgun. If your intentions are just to wound the BG then get rid of the gun, and buy a base ball bat! I put a $45 aim-point on my SD shotgun. That little red dot shows up real well in a dark house, and like a laser, once that dot is on the target, you just can't miss, and like the aim-point, a laser isn't a bad choice either for a home defence gun of any type.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Let's say I'm the BG breaking into your home. I have a gun, because I don't want to die. You shoot me with two or three rounds of shot meant for shooting snakes, and rats at close range, and I will return fire! You are shooting at me, and I'm not down, I'm shooting back with bad intent!!!!! Shot loads for hand guns, excluding the Judge, might not even penetrate a heavy shirt. Do you really want to load up with shot shells?
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Penetration issue is why my 357, (bedside gun is loaded with 38 spcl 158 gr LSWC), back up revolver is my 44 mag loaded with 44 spcl 240 gr LFN. Accurate, easy to shoot and the mild recoil makes a fast accurate second shot easier to make if needed. Best is I don't have to worry about explaining to the neighbors why I just blew their flat screen TV off the wall. At 20' or less booger man won't be able to tell the difference unless he is wearing Level III body armor.

My choice of 20 gauge and #4 shot is based on the same concerns. Your situation may be different but these are loads I feel comfortable with in my house.

If shotguns are not your thing then a lever action in a pistol caliber may be more to your liking, 45 colt, 44 mag loaded with 44 spcl or 357 mag loaded with 38 spcl. with 16" - 20" barrel lengths available they will be more accurate than a handgun and a short barrel makes it handy.

MI Carbine gives you 357 punch, its a semi-auto with 15 and 30 round magazines available. If you need that many rounds you need a back up squad to watch your back because we are talking a really serious home invasion.

Obviously if you are facing end of the world rat packs trying to get whats yours and you are involved in a shoot out with them from 100 to 600 yards away you might want something a little more authoritative but just between you me and the neighbors dog the home invasion scenario by 1 - 3 men is more likely than having to fend off a raiding party.
  17. firecop19

firecop19 New Member

thanks, I never new shotshells were available for a 357
  18. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

shoot someone with a shotshell and all you'll do is piss him off.... use mag-safe or glasers if over penatration is a concern from your handguns. protecting yourself and your family are the major issue here use a 410 or 20 gauge and you'll be better off. if you have to fire to defend your home ringing in the ears for a while will be the least of your worries. but you have options buy a pair of "wolfs ears" muffs that allow for normal noise but activate while fireing to lessen the heard blast. keep them next to your weapon of choice and practice the drill... muffs first then reach for your weapon...
  19. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

Brownells.com - -(AmmoLand.com)- Lightweight, compact muffs use advanced electronic circuitry that reacts instantly to block the sound of gunshots and protect your hearing on the range or in the field.

Dynamic Level Sound Compression (DLSC) technology compresses loud noises to a safe 70 dB level in less than 1.5 milliseconds, while letting you continue to hear normal conversation and range commands. Separate amplifier circuits and volume controls in each ear cup provide directional stereo sound and eliminate wires that can snag or break. Volume controls offer 50 dB gain to let you amplify low-level sounds as much as 8 times their actual level—without compromising protection from hearing damaging noise.
  20. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Yep, thats pretty much what I was thinking.

As per the post, IMO, ya may never have to shoot from insides ones home but I think the old 12ga is a better weapon of choice for home defence as I dont think a person could miss and I dont think an intruder would walk away from an up close and personal blast from a 12ga..but as for me, I hope I dont ever have to put that theory to the test.