Need some advice on a powder measure

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Evins74s, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

When I bought my LEE single stage kit I knew that the powder measure wasn't going to be the greatest. SO....I am looking at upgrading my powder measure. I am reloading .40s&w, .223 and .308. I am using H335, CFE223, H4895 and Varget. My current P/M does just fine with Varget since it is not fine like the CFE223. But when I use the CFE223 some of the powder will spill out and end up on my work table or makes it very hard to operate the handle. I am looking at the RCBS and Hornady P/M's but not sure which one is going to work best with the powders I am using. Any input is appreciated.
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Lee powder measure for my Vihtavuori N140 and an RCBS that I use with Titegroup. Titegroup is like ground pepper flakes and sticks to the side of the powder measure, while the small grains of N140 empty out of the powder measure with no problems.

I have never had a problem with either powder measure. The RCBS handles the Titegroup with no problems and both seem to have similar reliability/precision capabilities. I use both so I don't have to adjust powder volume as much, and so I don't have to clean them out.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hey BE , run a wire from your Lee to the ground , (soil ) it helps eh ..
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The RCBS Uniflow for about $70.00 is a very good measure, and likely the best value for the need of all but the most serious accuracy buffs.

The Redding 3BR will set you back about $160.00. It is the current mass produced "Gold Standard" for accuracy.

The Saeco's made by Santa Anita Engineering Co. were are another very fine/accurate measure; but most were/are not micrometer adjustable. They seem to be long out of production.

Bottom line is that the RCBS Uniflow, skillfully operated is the most for a reasonable price.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. dbach

dbach Member

I use the RCBS Uniflow. Works for me.
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Theres a adjustment screw on the side of your powder measurer that will reduce the tension on moving the handle have you tried that?Just trying to help
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

My gunshop guy told me the same thing.Jacks a pretty smart fella
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

some types of plastic and metals attract more static , the Lee does , add a heater or wet weather and it'll magnify it as well ..

the wire helps get rid of some of the static and lets the powder flow freer with less hanging to the plastic and metal..
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Wipe the parts down with a dryer sheet (Bounce, or whatever you use).

Also, regardless of brand...
    If it's brand new, be sure to tear it down and wash all the parts in warm soapy water to remove all of the mold release agents and anti-rust coatings on the parts...those two things are big static builders and the powder will stick like crazy.
    After that wipe it with a dryer sheet and load up the hopper with powder. Just cycle that powder through the measure a few times to deposit some of the graphite from the powder onto the parts. Helps lubricate and makes a nice film that helps drop the static level down.

An old Redding and a brand spanking new Hornady LockNLoad are what I use. Both of em static up so they need a wipedown every now and then too.
    Nothing wrong with the RCBS Uniflow, Lyman55, or any of the other metal-bodied measures.

The problem I've seen with the Lee is that it's just plain built too light to get a consistent technique with...
    I use a nice firm lever stroke to get consistent charges. Takes a little while to get your own system down...just load up the measure and throw & weigh charges til you find your own consistent technique.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the hint, Jack; I'll have to try it. I think I have a piece of wire long enough. Maybe to the sink tap? My reloading bench is in the kitchen!! It's the only room in the house with no carpet. :D
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

or rub it with a dryer cloth

RCBS uniflow mine is on its third owner and has been in use for well over 40 years.
  12. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

Thanks for all the advise and tips. I am still on the fence about a new P/M or just biting the bullet and getting a Hornady L-n-L AP. I shoot my XDm 40 a lot more than my AR and it sucks loading 1 bullet at a time. In a good day I am able to load about 50-70 but those types of days don't happen very often.
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Bite on brother, the LNL is a most satisfying press, didnt want to sound off about powder measures, but the LNL comes with an outstanding pm, the price you pay for all that is included with the LNL will serve no regrets.:D
  14. daboone

daboone Member

I have no recommendation but just some food for though.

Most measures are better with one type of powder than another. Be it flake, extruded or spherical, and most measure are likely to choke on at least one.

Operator technique is at least as important as mechanical factors when it comes to dispensing consistent charge weights.

I have a Harrells Schuentzen , Lyman 55, Lee Perfect Powder Measure and a B&M. None are perfect with every powder I've use but each of them preform within +/- .02 for specific powders.

It is NOT always that vital to get a charge weight down to the exact tenth of a grain. It can be important in very small charges for very small cartridges, but not in most rifle rounds. Instead, what you want to achieve is ±1% of the desired charge weight or less. For a 50-grain charge, that means anything less than a half-grain either side is not only acceptable, but you probably cannot tell the difference on target.