Need some advice on tumbler media

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I am buying my new tumbler tommorrow from Harbor freight (Lyman 1200).
    My question is: Should I buy Walnut fine or course grade media? I have been told walnut course grade does the best job of cleaning the brass, do you agree?? What kind if any additive should I add to the media? As most of you know I am new to reloading. So far I have not blown up anything or myself, thanks to a lot of your help getting started. Special thanks to JLA for all his help. I like all the opinions I get for all the questions I ask. The answer I usally go with is the one with the most consistant opinions. I really enjoy being a member on TFF.

Deacon Man
  2. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

For whatever it's worth, as there will be many different opinions, I use a 50/50 mixture of Corn Media and Course Walnut Media. When I am ready to clean some brass, just before I put the brass in, I add two cap fulls of Brasso Polish for metal and turn the unit on for about a minute or so to let it mix in with the media. Then I add the brass and let it run for an hour to an hour and a half. It works wonders with my brass.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

One additive that helps a great deal is a few dryer
    Sheets cut into pieces, walnut gets dusty, the sheets help.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I have not used this yet as I still have one bag of walnut media left, but this is about the cheapest way to go; kind of a lot but plan on splitting it with a buddy. anyone used this stuff yet?

I also use an additive especially once the media starts getting dirty; I have brasso cream colored stuff and Dillon brass polish. Too expensive though, going to probably try and find something else that works on the cheap. I will have to try out the dryer sheet idea, sounds interesting.

As for walnut vs. corncob, I usually use walnut but corncob is great for .45ACP's and similar but they frequently get stuck in the primer pocket, kind of a pain. both work good though
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I favor fine corn cob and brass polish
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I use walnut shells,I have never used corn cobb but I hear its good to.
  8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Stick with treated corn cob, or treat it yourself and maybe save a little. Run the cut up dryer sheets in it now and then to pull the gunk out of it. Add a little reactivator when it seems to be taking too long. I prefer a half and half mix of fine walnut and treated corn cob to get the best of both worlds. The corn cob cleans better, the walnut polishes better.
  9. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

I am using the red turbo media for my first cleaning. I run it about one hour just to get the grit and grime off of the brass. Once I have the brass sized/deprimed/trimed and debured then I will run it through the tumbler with crushed walnut shell. All that the second run does is polish the brass and remove any little pieces of brass shaving and the brass lube.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its actually the other way around bnyhntr. The walnut cleans like crazy because its very abrasive and the cobb puts a fine polish. a 50/50 mix is a very good way to get clean shiny brass in short order, but the polish isnt as fine as cobb alone can produce and the mix doesnt clean as quickly as walnut shell alone will.
  11. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I've used corn cob for the longest time and treated it with some brasss polish or case cleaner. I use walnut for really dirty brass and it cleans up quite nicely.
  12. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

I just use walnut. No additives. I don't care if my brass is pretty.
  13. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i run a mix of lyman cob media, treated, white rice and untreated fine cob media ( litter ).. I have recently added in a lil brass polish.. just a lil.

seems to be working great.

after I vibro clean my brass, I thn ultra sonic clean it.. my cleaner soloution is mostly water and a few drops of dish soap per qt of water... then i dry in a flat towel lined aluminum turkey disposable bake pan in a shoe rack in the dryer... wife loves that.. ;)