Need some advice

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Country101, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'm wanting to get into reloading as soon as I can get the money for it. What brands are the best to use and what all will I need. I plan on loading my .44, 30-30, and my wife's .38. Mainly just my .44 since I like to shoot it the most. How much would a set-up for my .44 cost(estimated)? Also, I know I need a reloading handbook, which one is the best?

I was looking at the Garret Cartridges page and they were talking about the diameter of the meplat. What is that?

Also, what is the Taylor Knockout Value? Are lower numbers better or higher.

Sorry for so many questions. I kinda got carried away.

Country101
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Being fairly new to it my self I can give advice I mainly have received here and read ,and from buddies that reload

Lyman has the book you need

When choosing a press make sure you get one that can accept rifle and pistol dies ,you buy a die for each caliber ,some also require a powder bar ,and conversion kit that changes the shell holder itself

Here is where I was sent ,I found a local dealer and am tickled to death

http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?
  3. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

I started out with a Lee starter set for around $70. Dies will probably run about $10-15 apiece depending on where you look. Powder will run about another $25. Sierra has the best loading manual on the market I feel, and highly recommend it.

I believe that the meplat is the size of the flat front of the bullet...I could be wrong though.

I would buy the Sierra manual or the Hornady manual and read it thoroughly...then proceed on your purchases.

I would recommend Midway. They are a great source of reloading supplies and are good people to work with.

www.midwayarms.com

Best of luck and report back on your progress...always good to welcome another reloader into the ranks.

swede
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Swede, is absolutely correct on the meplat being the frontal flat plain of the bullets so designed to be that.

Some have bigger flat plains than others, some are round nose or even spire pointed or conical.

SWC means semi-wadcutter which is sorta of a conical bullet with a flat top meplat...confused enough...then I've done my job.

This will be old hat for you soon enough...have fun and enjoy a great hobby.

Jim

:)