need some advice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Tim James, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Tim James

Tim James New Member

I am left eye dominant but I shoot right handed and I just recently recieved my concealed carry permit and aiming my pistol is very difficult to do when I am not concentrating when I shoot my pistol my right eye wants to close automaticlly and my shots are way off because I am using the wrong eye to aim I have tried shooting left handed but it is not natural for me if someone has any techniques or advice to give for correcting this or the same problems it would be great to here what yall have to say Thanks.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Cross-dominance is tricky, most recommendations are to switch hands for shooting or try to retrain yourself with an eye patch. Maybe someone will be along with a better solution.
  3. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

I am left eye and right hand dominant as well. I shoot my pistols right handed and use my left eye. My left eye is so dominant that I get head aches wearing PVS-14s (night vision monoculars designed to be worn over your nondominant eye) because my left eye fights my right for focus. #1 is to spent lots of time at the range and get comfortable shooting like that. #2 shoot with both eyes open. #3 you may have to drift the rear sight in the opposite direction that your shots are missing. i.e. if a majority of your shots are hitting to the left, drift the sight to the right.
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I'm just the opposite, right eye dominate and left handed. My right dominance is very minimal and my left eye vision is actually a bit clearer. I just shoot left hand/left eye and accept that it requires additional practice and focus.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Point shooting with your SD hand gun is the way to go. For target practice I can not come up with any help for you. My dad had the same problem, but I don't know how he worked it out. I can tell you that he was a very good shot, with either a rifle, or hand gun.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with this. You really need to get to the point where you can hit a dinner-plate sized target at 3 to 7 yards without even looking at the sights.
    Then, if you have time to aim properly with the sights, you always can. In most realistic situations, that probably won't be the case.
  7. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

some LEO's that i have talked to in classes that i have taken have suggested canting the pistol, only slightly. i am right hand/right eye domonant....but, when i shoot a pistol with my left hand i slightly tilt the pistol to the right and use my right eye to sight the weapon. mind you, i am not shooting "gangster style" like you see in movies. im only making like a 5 degree tilt from vertical.

maybe that helps??:confused::D