Need some advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firearm1, Jul 23, 2011.

1. firearm1

firearm1 New Member

I am looking to buy a new welder but have kinda came to a dead end, I have spoken to some of the bigger companies but they are a little too expensive for me at the time so if you guys know where I can get a reliable and affordable tig welder for about $1500 please be sure to let me know....thanks in advance
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

might try harbor freight. they have alot of low cost welders. good luck
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Harbor Freight or Northern Tools offer the best prices on Welders. I was just there this morning and looking around for some goodies, I happen to have there new catalog right here next to me, here is the one from their catalog, I found it on their online store also and here be yo link

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200405786_200405786

and just a hair over 1300 bucks
  4. firearm1

firearm1 New Member

Thank you guys for helping me but I have decided to get a welding machine from another company named longevity, they had great customer service and an awesome warranty

Attached Files:

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Very nice.
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I have a Miller 185 GMAW/FCAW, and a smaller GTAW/SMAW machine from Thermal Dynamics. I bought both for about 1800 bucks new. if you are serious about getting a fantastic TIG welder anytime in the future, get a hold of Thermal Dynamics. I seriously have made more money doing side projects with that machine than I have with any of my other welders! Here is a project truck I did the exo-cage on. All Chromoly, and Tig! This truck was a propane conversion too. "Back-halved" and totally custom! But a super bitter ride when it all came together! Welding is a passion of mine, and Im certified in all thickness, with Mild Steel, Aluminum, and S.S pretty proud of it, but I still get burnt out doin production work!

Sweet welder you picked up tho! Cant wait to see all of your projects man!

Attached Files:

7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

hmmm.... i need to show my son this thread! :eek::D he's a welder too. i'd like to get him 1 so that he can do some side work from home.:)
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I've got a small Miller 130 MIG. Mostly just small projects around the house. But I would LOVE to have a TIG setup and become proficient with it. There is nothing as beautiful as really nice TIG work. Watching those guys who can do high-end tubing work like aircraft and race car frames with a TIG, leaving welds that are picture perfect, the kind it's almost a shame to cover with paint or hide behind a body panel.... Serious admiration and serious jealously.

:bow:
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Stack 'o dimes!
    GTAW on steel tube...

Attached Files:

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats gorgeous. I wouldnt even buff the 'heatbow' offa that. Did you weld that chinook?
  11. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Chinook, someone has some serious skills. Fantastic work, wish I could still be that steady.

okie
  12. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I did lay that bead. And thanks guys! Right after high school I got certified in all processes, and all thickness...SS, mild steel, and aluminum. I did it for work for two years, and got absolutely burnt out doing the same thing every day. I still do it in my free time, and I get sub-contracted through my friends 4WD shop when the work load gets heavy. Custom fabrication. Thats what I truly love about welding!

We did a bike frame, kind of a prototype Down Hill mountain bike kind of gig, where we simply clear coated the frame. Left the welds un-polished! It was truly a rolling piece of artwork, and engineering!
  13. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Beautiful Chinook...beautiful.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
  14. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Nice welding;) I am just learning on a tig and it is HARD! It may look easy but when you start to do it you learn quick it is not!I know how to make holes:eek:And have the scrap steel to prove it:D.Still trying to learn. More juice is not good. But the person who is teaching me said i'm getting better.Again they are some very nice welds BEAUTIFUL!!!!!......GOOFY
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  15. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Thanks a lot guys!
    Goofy, it will come! It took me almost 9 months, of welding for 6-8 hrs. a day to even feel confident to do the most basic, easiest TIG, AWS cert. test. There is so much to fusing two pieces of metal together, it gets to be confusing... But there are basics... Rules can be bent, pretty far, but you cant break 'em! Physics wont let us! After I got the "hang" of pushin a TIG torch around, this chart really helped out! Certain applications you want a shallow penetrating, wide bead, others you wan a narrow, deep penetrating bead. All you need is a variety of Tungsten to switch from E+(DC), E-(DC), and A/C. And like you know... Comfort, and stability when running a bead are paramount! I welded this buggy suspension hanger bracket thing at a very strange angle. At this point I have rounded the corner, and Im doing a vertical down pass to finish. Notice the filler rod angle. It was the only way to brace myself to properly feed the filler material. Sometimes you bend the rules, by inserting fillerrod at strange angles, and handling the torch like it was a foreign writing implement! Hahahaha! Keep after it man!

Attached Files: