Need some help deciding....

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tex45acp, Nov 22, 2009.

1. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

First let me say my expertise is in handguns, though I do have a few rifles I use for hunting. My Father in law passed Nov'08 and I really miss him. Today my Mother in law told me to go to the gun cabinet and there were two guns that were in a case left by my FIL, for me after his death. One is for me and one is for his other Son in Law, but I get first choice. Here is where the fun begins. I know absolutely nothing about these rifles except they are older and one is in great condition...the other not so good. I should take the one in great condition...right? Please help me decide by educating me on what they are. This is all I have to go on, found on the top of both breeches. Both are bolt action and both have fore stocks that go to within about 3" of the front sights. They are both bone stock!!!

What have I to choose from here?

What caliber are they?

Are they both US Military rifles?

Anything else I should know about them??

Why would you choose one over the other???

Newer looking rifle:
    US
    REMINGTON
    MODEL 03-A3

Rough Looking Rifle:
    US
    MODEL OF 1917
    EDDYSTONE

Thanks in advance
    tex
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

both 30.06 both good guns but the remmington is better, worth more better shooter and newer....
  3. red14

red14 Active Member

Is the other man a rifle shooter, more or less than you?

Just my opinion.

Whoever would actually shoot more, should get the Remington. It is a gift and remembrance. The old saying, 'it's the thought that counts', weighs on this decision.

I see it as a win/win situation.