Need some help putting a Mojo sight on a K-98

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hkruss, Dec 17, 2011.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Here's the problem.
    The instructions say to drive the pin out, push down on the leaf spring, and slide the original sight out. Thing is, I can't seem to drive the pin out. I've got it braced against a hard surface and I keep hitting the punch harder and harder, but it aint moving. I'm afraid to hit any harder for fear of screwing something up.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    And by the way, is the pin supposed to be hollow? I figured it would have been solid, but you can look right through it. I will post a picture so you can see what I mean.
    In the picture, the dark part in the center is actually hollow. I should have back lit it so you can see what I mean. You can see right through it. I bring this up because I was wondering if it is the original pin or maybe somebody forced a slightly larger one in there, and that's why it's so hard to get out.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Roll pins, I've been told (ain't never messed with one myownself) require roll-pin punches, not plain normal punches.

Now, this may be that a regular punch will trash it, so it can't be put back, or it may be another reason.

Might be worth your while getting one, or a set.
    [​IMG]
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. thats an early rollpin. If you use a normal punch it will flare the pin and it wont drive out. you gotta use a roll pin punch or a flat punch thats the same OD of the rollpin. And some of those mauser sight pins are in there. You just gotta use the right tools and give it a solid whack. I use a 15oz ball peen for this kind of job.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

May also help if you flip the sight up and then drive the pin out. I found sometimes its easier to get the pin to start movin if the leaf spring is depressed.
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Might also use a good penetrating oil like Kroil.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that too. those early types are rolled steel and split down the length. Once you get it broke loose it should glide right out. Most likely theres some old baked on cosmo in there gluing it in.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Out of all the various Mauser models I've worked on, I've never run across a roll pin in the rear sight. What year and model is it?
    It definitely has a roll pin or split pin in there, and the only way to drive it out, without making it a permanent fixture, is with a roll pin punch. There just isn't a substitute.
    Rear sight dis-assembly instructions and pics:
    http://207.36.233.89/mauser98k/rifledisassembly2006/index.asp
  8. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks for the advice ya'll.
    Looks like I will be buying some roll pin punches and Kroil.

BTW: Trap, it's a bnz 42.

9. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Steyr Daimler-Puch 1942, nice! Is it a numbers matching non RC? If it is, take care of a good investment, and don't lose those sight parts. That should be a solid pin in there, I have one around here in the Mauser parts box if you want it.
    Lyman makes a good set of roll pin punches for gunsmith work, price is reasonable and they do come in handy.