The Firearms Forum banner

Need some help smoking meat.

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Bobitis 
#1 ·
About a month ago I bought one of those little electric smokers that are about the size of a dorm refrigerator. I've tried smoking different types/cuts of meat, but each time the meat isn't as tender as I know it should or could be. I've been smoking the meat at 225°F, and after about two hours I've tried wrapping it in foil to keep the moisture in. I have read that for pulled pork or beef you want to cook it until the internal temp is about 190°-200°F, but it seems like the cuts I have been using (3-4 lbs) are taking way too long to get to that temp. I finally found a local place to buy some larger cuts (10 lb brisket and 10 lb boston butt), and will be trying it again on Sunday. I thought I would check here for some advice before I mess these up! One more note: I have not been soaking the meat in a brine before smoking. I have read that it is not necessary so I haven't bothered with this step. Should I brine the meat before I smoke it?

Thanks in advance for your help. (Family probably will too!!!:D:D:D)
ckelley

#3 ·
You need to buy a good meat thermometer and keep a check on the center of the Pork Butt. No need for a brine unless it's your choice ( I use a dry rub) . Does your smoker have a water Pan ? Do you soak wood chips overnight and add them in the pan ?

It's going to take a while at 225 deg for that meat to reach the temp you want. What are the directions telling you about time and temp ?

#4 ·
Beth: Thanks for the welcome, but I have been a member for a year and a half! I log on and read every day just don't post that much! :D

Shooter: The smoker I have has a built in probe and I do check it with a quality dial meat thermometer. The smoker does have a water pan and I have been putting a couple of cups of apple juice in it. I put the wood chips in dry in a separate tray that sits right above the electric element. The instructions that came with the smoker says to set the temp at 225°F and that it should take about 1.5 hours per pound. For the 3-4 lb cuts that I have tried i have smoked them anywhere from 6-8 hours, but they still end up tougher than desired. Does what i read for an internal temp of 190-200°F sound right?

Thanks again for any suggestions
ckelley

#5 ·
I started cooking Pork Butts last night and got the temp up to about 160 then just let them smoke til 6AM. They fell apart when I was taking them out of the smoker. At 7am, I put another case of Pork Butts on the smoker. At 4PM, they were done and falling apart. My smoker is not electric so I don't know much about that type but if the internal temp of the meat is 190 - 200 deg, it should be tender.

#6 ·
CK,

Sounds like you've got the opposite of my problem. My electric smoker cooks way too fast. I haven't verified the temperture of the thermostate but I am pretty sure it's way off. Try taking the oven temperture with a good thermometer to verify that your thermostate setting is close to accurate. I haven't been very happy with mine and plan on going back to my Bullet 'cause it has never let me down.

#7 ·
Shooter, how big are the butts that you smoke? What temperature do you maintain your smoker at?

Airdale, I haven't verified the temp of the smoker, but I have checked the built in meat probe. I will have to check it.

#8 ·
Usually in the 10 - 12 lb range and I'll keep the heat around 325 - 350 deg inside the smoker. I usually turn them every hour. I'd check to make sure that temp probe is correct. Also, remember that the temp in the center of the meat should be measured with a good meat thermometer. I don't think the internal temp is hot enough.

My smoker is a lot different from the one you have. I burn Hickory wood and the smoker is also propane fired to keep the temp where I want it. I also have an 8 gal water tank built over the firebox and the steam goes under the meat. It's hard to dry anything out. If I'm in a hurry, I can cook a case of Pork Butts in about 6 hrs. Chicken or Ribs will take 2 - 3 hrs normally.

#9 ·
I have a large wood/charcoal fired smoker (about 4'x2') and I try to keep the temp around 250. For Pork, I will keep it in the smoker for up to 10 hours. I do open the smoker every hour and spray apple juice on the butt. After the 10 hour smoke, I wrap in foil and keep in a 200 degree oven for another couple of hours. I NEVER let the temp get up to 300.

G
#10 ·
ckelly, what are you using?

A butt will take 10-16 hours (or more depending on size) at that temp. You can jack it up and shorten the time, but an electric smoker won't get those temps.

The problem lies in the connective tissue in the meat. Just cuz the temp says 200, it's no way indicative of its 'doneness'. That butt can sit there for many hours at that temp before it starts to break down.

Give us a little more info please.

#11 ·
Bobitis, I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but for a smoker I am using this. I will only be able to get the temp of the smoker up to 275°F. As for the meat, I have tried various types of pork, and a beef brisket. These have all been smaller cuts of meat 3-4 lbs at the most, but I just purchased a 10lb boston butt, and a 10 lb brisket that I am hoping to smoke on Sunday. It sounds like I have been smoking everything on too low of a temperature for too short of a time?

G
#12 ·
Please take no offense.

Your smoker will do fish and jerky once ya get to know it. Bird is questionable. Butts and brisket are pretty much out.

I'm not a BBQ afficianado, but I have learned a bit thru trial and error and years of experience.

I don't care for electric for smoking as they can't do it right unless ya wanna spend a huge amount of money. But ya got what ya got.

I would suggest ramping it up all the way for starters. You should apply the rub the night before and let it sit in the fridge over night. Take it out 'early' am, and let it get to room temp while the smoker is warming up. Don't add any chips for a couple hours or you'll wind up with acrid smoke and nasty meat. And don't bother soaking them (wood chips). It just make matters worse.

Once everything is up to speed, add the butt to the smoker. What yer looking for is the temp to break the 240/260 deg threashold. 220 doesn't mean it's done. It means it's got to the point that it will continue breaking down the tissue. It may take 6-8 hours for the temp to rise above 220. When the thermo gets ta 240, ya can pull it and wrap in. Wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler laden with towels under, above, and all around. Close the lid and let it sit for a couple more hours. No peeking.:p

Hate ta say it, but yer smoker isn't made to do what yer tryin.

Give it a rip tho. No one knows till they try, and I been wrong on many occasions.

#13 ·
OK! Another thought here is are you adding alot of wood chips or what.Also which type? The reason i ask is i've found that too much wood isn't a good thing. On bird it tends to "skin over" throwing my cook times way off and makes tougher eating. I use charcoal as most of my friends use electric and show more problems than i do.do you (if you) soak the chips? i go 1/2 hr soak for 7-8 hr smoke about a cup and a1/2 of chips.

#14 ·
No offence taken. I will try cranking it all the way up and go for a long cooking time maybe even overnight. Worst comes to worse, I could do a few hours of smoke then finish off in the oven if I need to cook at higher temps. I will try it a few more times, and if I still don't have any luck I will just keep the electric smoker for jerky and smoking venison sausages. I will keep everybody posted to let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate all the help guys!
Ckelley

#15 ·
What that smoker will excel at is smoking fish and hams.

I would season and smoke to flavor, then bring in to the house and slow cook it in the oven in a covered roaster. I usually shoot a 30 lb. piglet or two a year and I smoke 'em in red oak on my Brinkman Smokin' Pit for 3 hours, basting it with a 50/50 mix of sesame and olive oil with black pepper, garlic and salt added. Then it comes in the house and goes in the roaster with 1/2" of water in the bottom and the oven set at 250F for another three or four hours. When the bone wants to come out of the ham it's ready.

#16 ·
And just to let ya know i do larger cuts so it might not take as much wood. I've been smoking for a bout 30 yrs and some times it just takes mistakes to learn what works for you. good luck on this, hope it helps.

#17 ·
Dad2thebone, I have only been using about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of dry chips, either apple or cherry. Again this has been for smaller cuts, but I have a 10 lb boston but and a 10 brisket that I would like to try.

#18 ·
hey ck. that's some hot wood ya got there. Mostly i use hickory because i like the taste, Apple does sound good though. What does the book say about smaller cuts and your chips. That was main problem when i first started and it took some chewing (haha yes a pun) on it till a friend of mine toldme i was too much chips. what i do now is put in the chips after smoking for a few hrs. Also i soak mine where before it was a constant feed of them. I'd check your cook times, sounds kinda long for 4 lbs but i may be wrong, it's bound to happen some day.With mine and remember its charcoal rule of thumb is 1 hr per pound. The next thing is resist the urge to lift the lid , you lose heat and your starting over . Mines a brinkman and im on my fourth one. You said venison sausage?mmmmmmm send some my way!! Keep me informed kinda getting interesting here.

#21 ·
Nine or 10 hrs if I cook them really slow but If I hurry the process along, 5.5 hrs. I'm able to control the heat on my smoker and can get the inside temp to 400 + if needed....very quick.

I cooked today and put the pork on at 11AM and it was falling off the bone at 4:30 PM. :)

#22 ·
indeed.. My best butts come off the smoker at 8-10 hours and the bone falls right out and is soft. dogs dont crunch it when they eat it..

Dangit, now im hungry for a pork sammage..:(

#23 ·
Those butts do look delicious! I talked to another fellow tonight, and he also suggested finishing off in the oven after getting the smoke flavor in the meat. I will be getting up early to throw my brisket and Boston butt into the smoker. I will make sure to let everybody know how it goes, and maybe even a picture or two! Thank you everybody for your help. It is very much appreciated!

#24 ·
After a couple more attempts I found that the trick to smoking the pork butts in my smoker is to cook it for a loooong time at a pretty low temp. This one I just pulled out this morning was in for about 27 hours. I started it at 180°F, used some heavy hickory and mesquite smoke for about 3 1/2 hours then double wrapped it in aluminum foil and forgot about it. Two hours before I took it out I bumped the temp of the smoker up to 225°F. I was able to pull the bone right out by hand and the meat seemed to shred just by looking at it! Tastes great and my house smells wonderful!

#26 ·
You need to buy a good meat thermometer and keep a check on the center of the Pork Butt. No need for a brine unless it's your choice ( I use a dry rub) . Does your smoker have a water Pan ? Do you soak wood chips overnight and add them in the pan ?
It's going to take a while at 225 deg for that meat to reach the temp you want. What are the directions telling you about time and temp ?
Just what Shooter is saying, mine does butts, briskets and ribs perfectly.

Lots of trial n error. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.