Need some help...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by clepidus, Aug 13, 2012.

1. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Thats a good choice. I use that exact model for deer, turkey, and partridge hunting. Its a great gun to have in hand seeing that it can shoot three sized shells.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

awwww yeah, the 870 wins again! ha!

autos are cool but the pump is king IMO, super simple and easy not to mention reliable.

I couldn't relate as my wife doesn't want any gun really that bad but if she did, I suppose I'd try to steer her towards a lower end model. I don't even spend $1800 on much of any gun!

guess it depends on how deep your pockets are, me, not so deep...

but I learned early on that priorities make a big difference; during my smallbore target rifle days, I shot with some folks who looked like they couldn't afford to fill their gas tank (at 80 cents a gallon) but pulled out a $2500 target rifle.

overall, function over beauty is what I prefer but we all know the womens like some 'shnaz' and can be quite particular!!!

sounds like you did well though and that 870 will treat you right for longer than you'll ever need.
  3. clepidus

clepidus Member

AA1911,

My pockets are not so deep but she was throwing the fact that I sent a Mini-14 into Accuracy Systems for a $1700.00 work over. Other than that I get frustrated at anything over about $300.00 and that is about anything.

I don't want to get too far off subject but I have noticed a strange problem with the new 870 though. It seems to stick on the first round of any magnum load. I don't know if she is being too gentle with it or if it is just new and needs some more rounds fired through it. I could not get it to stick but it did to her several times the other day and when she handed it to me it took some pretty food effort to cycle the round out. I have taken it down and looked for rub marks or some indication that something is wrong and cant find it.

Anybody else seen this with a 870 super mag?
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

My new one did the same thing, especially with higher power reloads. Methinks the chamber needs a 'seasoning' on it much like an iron skillet.

Rounds that stick every few shots in my newer one would not stick at all in my very old wingmaster which even has rust in the chamber half the time.

The old paper shotshells have a wax coating which I think also helps to ensure shells do not stick, both the one being shot and subsequent rounds from the deposit of a slight amount of the wax.

I keep oiling the crap out of my chamber (making sure I clean it out before firing) and it has greatly improved.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If the lady wants a Benelli, let her get it. Most guys would love to have that problem.
  6. Ruger_Fan

Ruger_Fan Former Guest

I would have a hard time taking an $1,800 shotgun duck hunting. Most guns that go duck hunting a lot end up battle scarred and rough looking.