The Firearms Forum banner

Need some help

953 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mikld 
#1 ·
I'm new to reloading, and I could use some help. I am having a hard time finding load info for 45 acp 200 grain plated hollow points. I can't seem to find the min. And max powder charge and the overall length. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
What powder are you using?

#6 ·

Lyman 49th has this for JHP (not plated)
700X
Starting 3.3
Max 4.9
COL (Jacketed) 1.178

Hornady 9th, Speer #14, and Western Powder 5th edition all have load data for 200 JHP but not using 700X. Hodgdon does have data for 700X as mentioned above.

#10 ·
FIRST build a DUMMY round. NO powder or primer. Seat the bullet to suggested oal and cycle it in your firearm several times. If it feeds from the magazine into the bbl. then you should be good.
Always work up a load. As stated check the powder manuf. site for load data. Book data is conflicting, some have higher loads than other. Older books also had higher load data. Use current data for new powders.

NO question is stupid when reloading. Your fingers, Eyes might depend on it !

Safe loading and good shooting, Mike

#11 ·
Two thoughts, well three; This is the major reason I suggest to new reloaders to find load data before buying components. I also suggest getting a couple (as many as you can) published reloading manuals, each has something to offer. And FWIW, I don't pay any attention (none) to any load data from any forum expert, gun counter clerk, "pet loads" website, gun shop guru, or range rat. There are enough combinations and different loads in a printed reloading manual to last many years of reloading and with more than one manual, you'll get other/different information (not talking about load levels, just different bullets, powders, etc.). Worked for me since '86...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.