need some help

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by oscarmayer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

at long last i've decided to get into black powder shooting. i've wanted a bp revolver for a long time. seems simple enough but i dont want to get a piece of junk nor do i want top break the bank. what do you think would be a good starter pistol and in what caliber 36 or 44 ?
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

Get a Remington .44 with the top strap. It's stronger and more accurate
    because it has less spring in the action. It also has sights that don't move.
    The .36 Navy is pretty but the back sight is a notch on the hammer and
    it has no top strap. I had black powder handguns and shot them for a while
    then I got tired of cleaning them. Usually they are not the most accurate
    of all guns. Although there are some that shoot very well.
    Zeke
  3. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

I'm partial to the 1860 Army in .44 caliber and the 1861 Navy in .36 caliber. Have sent many, many critters to their maker with both. My 1861 Navy is a Uberti...smooth as glass.
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I am partial to the 1851 Navy but like abolut all. If you want a fun one, buy a 1849 pocket colt in 31 cal. Main thing is make sure steel frame and not brass IMHO. The 58 remington is a fun gun to shoot as well and they do make the remingtons in 36 cal, all repros of course.
  5. Joe M

Joe M New Member

I personally like the feel of the 1851 & 1861 Navy. I own four 1858 .44 Remingtons but can't say I enjoy shooting them as much as I do the Navy Colt's. Just something about the '51 and '61 that feels good. They're not target grade but they're great plinkers. Were I to buy another Colt's replica, it would be the 1860 Army.

100% agree. Buy a steel framed revolver. You won't regret it no matter what you decide on.
  6. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Get something in stainless steel that you can put in the dishwasher.

Black powder draws rust like Elvis Presely attracted chicks....
    :D
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've owned several BP revolvers over the years. I have never felt the need to put one in the dishwasher. They are not that hard to clean.

The 1860 Colt .44 is my favorite. The 1858 Remington is a nice gun also, but the grip seems short to me.

I agree with jjmitchell that the .31 caliber Colt 1849 is a fun gun to shoot. It kicks so little that it's the one Colt repro I would consider buying with a brass frame... but iron is better and more historically correct.
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

I have the 1858 .36 and my buddy has the stainless .44 with the 12" barrel. They are loads of fun, nobody else has them around here. Once I learned the proper method of cleaning (thanks mrkirker!) I don't have any problems.
  9. quigleysharps4570

Tis true, they're not hard to clean.
    I might be one of the odd ones but I've always enjoyed cleaning them. ;)
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

im in the notion i want a bp revolver myself
  11. quigleysharps4570

Get one my friend. ;)
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have been toying with the idea. i've considered buying one of them repro's out of cabela's... i can do any action work to make it slick, i wonder what quality i could expect though