need some help

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by .17okie, Mar 29, 2011.

1. .17okie

.17okie New Member

i picked up a winchester model 190 today good little gun its accurate and no jamming so far. The problem i have is the guy put camo duct tape on it 2 years ago i peeled it off and the wood looks good but what is the best way to get the residue off the wood without damage to it and if i have to refinish it how do i get the forend off any help would b greatly appreciated
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

WD40 will remove the tape glue without harming what's under it. Spray it on and let it set for about 10 min. Then use a rough material rag soaked with WD40 like an old wash cloth to rub the glue off.
  3. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

zippo or red devil lighter fluid is the best stuff I have found to take off risidual sticker or tape. just put on a cotton ball and wipe away. lot less messy.
  4. j3hill

j3hill New Member

Is there a clear coat on that wood? Some did, some did not, While lighter fluid is the best it will destroy the clear finish over the stain, But sanding a stock down with some 300 grit for a few hours and re-staining it can be fun. I re did a Winchester 69A last year and it turned out perfect. All back to original now. You can try other dark or light stains. But it is time consuming to do it right.
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I have a Sears Mod. 3T, which as far as I know is just a rebranded Winchester 190. I just finished taking it completely apart. And I mean completely. I HOPE you don't have to go there. The forend is more than a bit of a pain. The magazine tube runs through a hole bored in the forend. The only way to remove the forend is to remove the magazine tube, or the entire barrel and tube. I needed to remove the barrel anyway, so that's the route I took. If I just needed to get the forend off to refinish it, I'd see if I could remove the pin that secures the front end of the mag tube and pull it out forward. It would sure be easier! If you want or need to go the barrel route, let me know and I'll tell you how.

I'll also see if I can come up with the link to the instructions that I found and used...
  6. .17okie

.17okie New Member

the wd 40 worked great on the wood it looks brand new while i had it apart i gave the whole gun a good cleaning and it looks and shoots like a brand new gun the good part is i only paid 65 bucks for it the guy i got it from said it was an old truck gun at best. mayb i should send him a couple of pics of it and tell him it cost me a little time and about 4 dollars for the wd 40 to make it look new thanks for all the help!!!!