Need some info on South Carolina Gun Laws

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BigD16, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

Hey everybody,

Im sure most of you have seen my previous topic about me being in the market for a new .22 Long Rifle that I made a couple months back. I've been able to save my money back up, and I want to plan on getting my .22 within the next couple weeks. I think I've decided on going with a Ruger. Anyway, I'll either be buying from a local gun shop or Wally World. Am I required to have a South Carolina State Driver's License to purchase a rifle? The only thing Im able to pull up on the issue is that I have to be 18 in order to purchase a firearm. Can I legally purchase a .22 from a South Carolina Walmart or Gun Shop with an out of state license? Or does your license only come into play if your buying a hand gun and have to go through the necessary background check?

Thanks guys!
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

you will have to go through the background check for a rifle also. so you will need to have the SC license for that also....what is the problem with getting the license? just a few hours at the DMV on a busy day and $25 gets it for a 10 yr license. on a non busy day about 1 hr.
  3. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

Because im not sure how much longer im going to be a South Carolina State resident. Might possibly be moving again within a few weeks to a couple of months.
  4. ozo

ozo Active Member

If you have been a resident of SC for more than 30 days, you were required
    by law to have your driver's license renewed to that state already.
  5. ozo

ozo Active Member

Something wrong with this picture........
  6. BigD16

BigD16 New Member

There's nothing wrong with this picture... My family and I have jumped around alot due to the bad economy in the last year and our licenses renewed and we never had them switched over to the new state.