need some info

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cohoak10, Jan 11, 2012.

1. cohoak10

cohoak10 New Member

im looking to put a vxi on a 1953 rem. 270.shoots like a dream.was wondering what would be good rings for it.its a top feed.thanksalso,im just getting into reloading and was wondering if a semi rimmed case is best for a #1 ruger single shot breech load
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I'm assuming that is a Remington Model 721. Use any two-piece base set and rings for the Model 721. Weaver is OK and easy to install.

As for the Ruger #1, the gun is chambered in a specific caliber. Those are the cartridge cases you use.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If you are rebarrelling or rechambering a Ruger No 1, the extractor is made to handle the original cartridge whether rimmed or rimless. It can be changed but generally folks simply go with the same cartridge base as the original round, so there is no problem.

Just FWIW, there are very few semi-rimmed rifle cartridges; the only one I can think of offhand is the 7.7 Japanese round for the Type 99 Hotchkiss strip-fed machinegun. (The Type 99 rifle uses a rimless 7.7 cartridge.) There are a few modern cartridges with rebated rims, notably the .284 Winchester and the .338 Remington Ultra Mag.

Jim