The Firearms Forum banner

Need some input before I buy

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Yosemite 
#1 ·
I try to keep adding to my surplus guns collection a little at a time. Right now I'm trying to decide from among some Maks - P64, P83, or CZ82, or a Romainian Tokarev. They are all right at the $200 mark, and very good condition. I'm leaning toward one of the Maks, but which one? Are there any reasons to consider one over the others?

#3 ·
I have a CZ-83 which is, I believe, about the same animal as the CZ82. I really like the little pistol, it is pretty accurate. It came with two magazines and each mag holds something like 16-17 rounds. I keep it in the driver's side door pocket of my car.

Several years ago I owned a Tokerev in 7.62X25 and never had any problems with it and it did shoot good. I also had one in 9mm and it was nothing but trouble with jamming all the time.

I have not had the pleasure of owning the other two you mentioned but here is a thread from not to long ago about the P64:
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/p-64-just-brought-it-home.151872/

#5 ·
I have a CZ-82...and an 83....and a 50 and 52. I like them all. Unfortunately I'm ignorant of the other two you mentioned and can't offer a comparison. I doubt any would be wrong.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Well, after a while looking I narrowed what I wanted down to a Bulgarian Makarov or a Radom P-83. Then I talked myself into getting a Bersa Thunder because they are similar and have a lifetime warranty. Then when I went to order it at a local gun store, they had SCCY CPX-2s there, and I completely changed my mind and bought one in earth/black.

Now I still don't have my surplus gun, but I have a neat CC gun. Does anyone else suffer from this type of indecisiveness?

#10 ·
Now you're talkin. I have Bulgarian Mak and it's a GREAT pistol! Absolutely reliable, even with a mixed magazine of HP and SP ammo. The 9MM mak round is about 1/2 between a .380 and 9MM Luger in power.

#8 ·
Congrats on the one you bought!

If you find you are still in the market for your original quest - I'd HIGHLY recommend that you search out one of the East German Makarovs. Going be pricier than the Russian, Chinese or Bulgarians, but you will be glad you held out for one. I've had 2, and both were superb quality pistols (My wife likes hers so much it's her CCW weapon!)

One other thing - I've read much on the 9X18 Makarov, and a lot of arm chair ballistics experts say it is far inferior to the 9X19 Luger. It may not be QUITE as deadly as the 9mm Luger, but that little Mak packs a punch! If I were a guessing man, I'd guess it's much closer to the 9mm Luger than is a .380 ACP. I've shot them a lot, and they pack quite a whallop with the JHP factory bullets.

#9 ·
The only one on your list that I have is the P64. Terrible double action trigger pull, great single action. It's basically a copy of the PPK, without the mag release. The recoil is substantial for such a small pistol/cartridge combination. Fairly accurate though.
And the sleekest and most concealable than the others. I love mine! And you can always switch out the springs to alleviate the ungodly trigger pull. Does pack quite a punch for such a small pistol though...

#11 ·
The CZ 83 is 380 ACP and the CZ 82 is 9mm Mak both of which hold 12 rounds. Without checking again I think the difference is negligible but I am recalling from memory. The Mak is closer to the 380 than the 9mm Parabellum. For one thing you can't get the bullet weight in a Mak that you can the Parabellum.

Mr. Flintstone...I don't know that I'm indecisive but I do look at a lot of firearms before I buy, usually not knowing what I'm looking for until I see it. I have a bucket list...sort of...and check for them frequently and eventually one on the list will pop up at a price I either am willing to pay or can afford. One would think the list would be getting shorter but it doesn't seem that way....:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.