Need some input on 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by etcher1, Jun 12, 2012.

1. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

If you were going to cast your own 9mm bullets for plinking, what powder and bullet mould would you get? I'll be shooting an M&P9 4.25" barrel. I like Unique cause I can load my 44 Mag, I had seen some 9mm recipes with Unique. But I am definitely open for suggestions.
  2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I do cast my own, and my favorite bullet is the Lee 356-125-2R mold, sized with a Lee .356 push through sizer, lubed either with the Lee Liquid Alox that comes with the sizer, (easy to use), or a hard lube setup a friend made. I use Accurate Arms #7 powder, and have generally good results. :)
    Lee is cheap but good equipment in my experience.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Ditto on post #2 relative to Lee.

Unique can be loaded in 9x19 mm, but there are better propellants for this caliber. Unique tends to give a wide velocity spread when loaded in the 9x19. It is an ideal propellant for .45 Colt. For 9x19 cast bullet loads any of the faster propellants like 231 or Bullseye work well and are cost effective. Blue Dot is excellent for HV (very fast, like 1250 fps) 9x19 loads, but it is expensive and you do not want to drive a 9x19 cast bullet over 1150 fps or you will likely encounter barrel leading problems.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. X Ring

X Ring Member

I loading the RCBS 124g TC over 3.5g Bullseye for years and by the thousand. Shoots great.
  5. etcher1

etcher1 New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to go with Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 356-125-2R 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 380 ACP (356 Diameter) 125 Grain 2 Ogive Radius.

Is there any specific BHN number that they need to be?
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Relative to post #5, you will want to follow this link: http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

Mold bullet weights are usually for Lyman #2 alloy. Harder alloys, like Linotype will produce bullets that weigh something like 6% less or more. Exact numbers will be found at the link site.

You want to keep in mind that there is a different ideal hardness for different bullets, bullet uses, and velocities.

Also, Tin (Sn) mainly improves metal flow and mold filling (cast-ability). Initially (as cast) it produces hardness; but most of this Tin induced hardness deteriorates in about a month's time. Antimony (Sb) induces hardness that increases (precipitates) with age (time over about 30 days); but does almost nothing for cast-ability or makes it worse than casting pure lead.