The Firearms Forum banner

Need some input on pocket carry pistols

5K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  Mr_Flintstone 
#1 ·
I've got a couple small frame pistols that I CC, but nothing really small enough to carry in my front pocket. I've been looking at these smaller type pistols in 9mm and .380 for a little while now, and I've decided to go with a .380 because they are typically smaller and have less recoil than the 9mm models. I've compiled a list with the information (I have tried to list as accurate information I can find) on some various models that I am attaching as an image. If some of my info is incorrect, please let me know.

Text Yellow Line Font Number

I have decided to eliminate the Colt Mustang, Sig P238, and Kimber Micro because they are SAO, and I don't think they gel with pocket carry. I am also going to eliminate the Bersa 380 and PPK because of size. I'll keep the Thunder CC on the list just because of the price, capacity, and warranty.

Admittedly, I have not fired most of these guns, and your input will carry a good deal of weight on my decision. Also, if any of you know of an alternative to these listed, by all means let me know.

See less See more
Reactions: RCC and Big Shrek
#2 ·
Personally, I'd eliminate everything on the list except the P238, but I'm prejudiced. I have one, can't think of anything I would change on it, and don't see the value of a DA over a SA gun, since I carry mine cocked. Still, the Bersa is well regarded, as is the LCP - either would be a good choice, I thinbk. You'll want to handle one first, though, before you buy.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info so far guys.

I must admit that the only gun on this list that I have actually fired is a Colt Mustang MK IV; and as far as size, weight, holding, and firing - I liked everything about it. I imagine the Sig, Kimber, and other mini-1911s are similar. The only issue that I have with these is carrying cocked and locked in a front pocket doesn't sound like a very good idea. Maybe OK with a pocket holster or maybe carry condition 2. Do you pocket carry yours or use IWB/OWB, etc...?

#3 ·
I would not throw out the thought of a 9mm, especially with regards to the Sig P938.

Model - Cost - Action - Width - Height - Length - Weight - Capacity - Trigger
Sig 938 - $675 - DAO - 1.1 in - 3.9 in - 5.9 in - 16 ounces - 6+1 - 8 lbs

The cost is the only thing that might slow you down a little but they have 9 different models to choose from, the price didn't stop me from buying one!

#4 ·
Why spend more for an imitation? Get the real thing! The Kel-Tec P3AT, or my choice, the PF-9, although I have both, I feel more comfortable with the 9mm. Just remember: sub-compacts have a snappy recoil. Limp wristing will cause feeding & ejection problems & they are not intended to be range guns so they are not fun to shoot. They serve the purpose they were designed for very well!

#6 ·
I really like my LCP. I would suggest what ever you get, find or make a little pouch holster that lets the gun slide in and out. Keeps down the dust bunnies in the barrel and protects the gun.

#8 ·
I rarely pocket carry, since I'm a fairly small guy and nothing much fits in a front pocket. I'm more apt this time of year to carry in my back pocket, or in a jacket pocket. In the cocked position, though, the P238 is quite safe, and the hammer is tucked nicely out of the way. But for front pocket carrying, you might be better off choosing a hammerless design for comfort. I hadn't really thought about that.

My every day gun is the P938, worn either IWB or OWB, depending on clothing. I have to pay close attention to it sometimes, as I don't really notice that I'm carrying, and some places I go (like work) I can't afford to get caught carrying a weapon. Either gun - P238/P938 - would be great for IWB or OWB carry, if that's an option you want to consider. Another option might be ankle carry - the P238 is probably a better choice for that, because of the slightly reduced weight, but any of your selections would work well there.

Whatever you do, once you narrow your choices down to three or four, then find someplace that will let you handle each of them before you choose. They are definitely not all about the same - I found even the grips of different versions of the same gun make a huge difference. Your hands will choose for you far better than your logic.:)

#11 ·
Is it too late to post an addition? I have a A.M.T. Backup in .45. It holds 6 rounds of potent .45 in a stainless steel mini pistol that has a horrible trigger, yet I have no doubt that if and when I ever need to use it to defend myself or others, I will use my adrenaline fueled fingers and won't notice a thing.

#14 ·
I carry a Kel Tec P3AT or a Kahr PM9 if I am pocket carrying. I like both, but even though the Kahr is ultra slim and carry's well all day, if I decide to go with the Kel Tec, it is difficult to tell it is in my pocket. Granted there is a good bit of difference in a .380 VS 9mm but if I were expecting trouble, I would stay home or carry my rifle.

#15 ·
I'm hearing a lot of recommendations for the P3AT and LCP. Aren't these basically the same gun? I looked at both of these recently at a local gun shop, and they were very close. The PT738 was also very similar, but not as close as the other two. Are there any big differences among these three with regard to quality, performance, or otherwise? I also like the Bodyguard. If I narrowed my choices to these four, which would you recommend (or definitely mark off the list).

#17 ·
The glock 42 is a dream to shoot, I was pleasantly shocked at how much I love that gun! That's my recommendation, a solid company/brand with a long reputation of extremely effective and reliable guns and easy to get aftermarket stuff for.

NAA revolvers are very handy too, not powerful but super tiny. If you don't hit the bad guy, you'll make him go deaf if nothing else! they're loud.

#19 ·
I have carried a LCP in my front pocket daily for almost 4 years. I will say that while the sites are tiny, I kind of like them for pocket carry and don't expect them to ever be an issue. The gun is very accurate IF you make sure your fundamentals are perfect.

You're right and wrong about the statement that .380s are smaller and have less recoil. They would have less recoil if they were not so small. I think most 9 mms will be easier to shoot than a LCP simply because they are a little bigger. I have fat fingers, and I literally have 1 1/2 fingers on the grip. If I don't consciously squeeze the pelosi out of the front strap I have to reposition my grip after a shot or two because that short barrel and no grip wants to jump out of my hand.

Don't let me scare you away from the LCP though. It's a great gun and exceedingly comfortable to pocket carry in a DeSantis holster.

#21 ·
I'll go with the S&W. I carry a slightly larger S&W, (CS45)
but the Bodyguard is on my list after renting one at the Pensacola Indoor Range :)

My BUG always catches heck from gun snobs, but the dang thing works...
ERMA Luger in 7.65 Browning/.32acp

#23 ·
If I ever bought a auto-pistol specifically as a carry gun and took the course needed for a CCW.I would purchase a Sig.P-938 with a stainless slide and the nice wood grips.Just for fun I watched you-tube video's and on-line reviews and it seems like a winner.Ammo availability and cost is also a factor in this choice.But they are a little pricy.

A second choice would be a Bersa-380.

I see these as 2 of the best carry guns in my opinion.

#25 ·
I like big bullets, so my pocket carry is a .44 special. One in the right front pocket, and one on the belt!
Gun Revolver Everyday carry Trigger Starting pistol

#32 ·
I had actually looked at a SCCY CPX-2 and liked it a lot. When I think about it, the P3AT only weighs 8.3 oz, and the SCCY comes in at 15 oz. That would probably account for the lighter felt recoil. At 5.7 inches, its also only a half inch longer than the P3AT, and smaller than the Thunder CC and the Glock 42. It's also shorter than the PF9. It might be worth it for the extra knock down power of the 9mm. I'll have to think about it.

Reactions: Mr. Al
#29 ·
The one I wouldn't throw out is the SIG. "Cocked and locked" has worked for a very, very long time. Most of the time I carry a SIG 938. I recommend it highly. Lot's of good guns on your list.

#30 ·
I recently had the opportunity to test fire, or ATTEMPT to test fire a Taurus PT738. While I couldn't find any signs of damage, the timing was off and the sear (or what Taurus calls a sear. I consider it more of a hammer block) would catch the falling hammer 99% of the time. I got one cartridge to fire and three others I pulled the trigger multiple times and the hammer would not fall to fire all the way to fire the cartridge in the chamber. I know it is a limited sample, but enough for me to write it off of my list.

I have seen a KelTec P3AT where the recoil spring had pressed against the front of the slide to the point that is actually expanded the hole for the guide rod. The recoil spring would start protruding through the front of the slide through this hole and bind the action. Now from what I was told, the owner of that pistol shot it A LOT, so that may have been part of the reason. I can't say how old or new the recoil spring was either, so it may have been letting the slide recoil back with a little more OOMF if it was weak from all that shooting.

The Smith & Wesson Bodyguard is a decently built pistol if you get one of the newer ones with the Crimson Trace laser. DO NOT buy the older version with the Insight laser. Smith & Wesson switched laser providers for a reason. Or you can go the M&P Bodyguard that doesn't have a laser at all. I don't personally like to shoot the Bodyguard because my hand is so big I can't figure out what to do with my thumb to get it out of the way of my trigger finger. It is a LONG trigger pull and breaks pretty far back in the trigger movement, so my trigger finger keeps hitting my thumb and I have to move the thumb around to leave room to finish the trigger pull.

The Ruger LCP is pretty much an exact clone of the KelTec, but just from what I have seen seems to be a little better quality. I find it to be pretty easy to shoot, the trigger pull is decent, and it hides in the pocket very well. This would probably be my pick, though I would really be interested in shooting one of the Kahrs. I have shot the PM9 and liked it really well, but have not fired the 380.

Just my experiences.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#37 ·
this d@mn phone. It endlessly auto miscorrects for me. i will type a word and then when i space bar away, it will CHANGE IT!

I have gone back and edited messages 3-4 times and still sometimes can't get a word to stick.

I've tried other browsers as well.. havn't figured out any way around it. seems it is part of the phone. anything that you type that brings up the keyboard has this word changer. text, email, browsing, making nots in my calander.. etc.

I don't think it is a spell checker at all. it lets the miss spellings GO THRU! and simply chnages other words!

gotta love technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.