1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need Some Old Colt Help

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Hydra Shok, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Well to make a long story short, one of my uncles had a house fire and his Colt Cobra snubbie was involved. He had the insurance company cover it and gave the little revolver to me today. I need some help on disassembly, I have never even taken the cover off of a revolver and boy, there sure are a lot of little pieces in there! I searched for info but couldn't find anything useful. Do any of you Colt or revolver people know of a site that you could direct me to?

Just for the info: Colt Cobra snub, unshrouded ejector,
    serial number: LW208XXX
    I think it was made in the mid 50's

I would like to try to make it shoot again, it's not too far gone to try to restore it. The finish is ok in a few places but definately needs to be redone. The cylinder won't rotate after the trigger is pulled, and the trigger won't reset either.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it, if more info is needed please ask.

:confused:
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Hydra, I'd also take it to a gunsmith. The Colt Cobra 1st Gen is what you have and a very good carry gun. Check the frame carefully as it is made of alloy. If you can't find anyone reasonable or willing in your area, contact Al at acesystems@mindspring.com

He is very good on the Colt revolver and also has the means to check for cracks and frame damage. Good luck.
  4. Xracer

Good advice. Any aluminum alloy gun that's been thru a fire should be checked out thouroughly by a competent gunsmith.
  5. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Thanks for the info guys. My uncle took it to somebody to have it appraised ( value before before the fire ) for insurance purposes and the guy ( gunsmith :confused: ) said he could fix it, but I will take it to my buddy who is a gunsmith and let him check it out. Is it really an alluminum alloy? Not saying it isn't, but it doesn't look like it to me. The cylinder looks a little more rusty than the frame does, maybe that is why. Heck the frame just looks like it has been under the seat of an old pickup for a while cause there is a lot of bluing still on it. But to be safe I'll have it checked out.
  6. Xracer

Yup....the Cobra has an aluminum alloy frame. The cylinder and barrel are steel. Try using a magnet on the frame.

The Cobra really just an alloy framed Detective Special.
  7. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

The LW in the serial is for Light Weight. All Colts with alloy frames use LW in the serial.

I would likely avoid using a gun that's been through a fire. The tempering could be suspect in the metal and an alloy gun would be a real problem since it wasn't as strong to start with. I would clean it up and keep it as a momento. A decent Colt Cobra or Detective Special (steel frame) can be had for $300 or so if you want one to shoot and I simply wouldn't spend money to rebuild a gun that may be beyond hope.