The Firearms Forum banner

need some opinions

4K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  reloader4 
#1 ·
i have shot about 800 rounds cci mini mags with 1 misfire my friend says why spend that much money on the good stuff when i can go to walmart and get ammo cheaper. Would u stick with cci or try the other stuff? also if u shoot slowly and shell does not go over your shoulder u know u have a misfire if u r shooting fast how do u know if u have a misfire?

#27 ·
What many here said Like Mike said they took a bribe to say to use cci mini mags. Pinecone has it right as many of the others. Keep the cci's for accuracy in in league and slow fire pistol competition. And yes please don't use Remington. If you go to Walmart and buy some Winchester or Federal and those don't work. Give them to a friend and I will send you the 15 bucks. I think the cci thing is a gimmic like Mike does.

#28 ·
Heck, you can have two identiacal guns from the same gun maker and they might react differently with their preferances of ammo....

Is that criptic messaging??? If a woman has two identical men, they will react differently to each of them depending on their.....their.....ammo? :D
my Ruger loves the CCI mini mags :D
I think he was refering to semiautos only.:cool:

So, have you seen two identical men?:rolleyes: How does that work?:confused:

#30 ·
IMO Beth, ammo for plinking doesnt really matter that much. I keep some special ones for self defence the rest are just for shooting. Do like to hit what I aim at but I dont have to have the best ammo for it.
And its a 22. Not saying that you wont kill with it, just would be my very last resort as a self defence weapon.

#37 ·
As a gunsmith, And I assure you I shoot ALOT of .22s, the most consistent .22 LR ammo I have used is the Winchester Xpert HV. It is accurate and reliable in everything i have used it in from singleshots to semi autos. and decent on small game too...

#43 ·
Remember, what I posted above... I have had several P22s on my 'operating table' and they worked fine with the ammo. The ONLY semi auto I have had trouble eating Winchester Xpert is ONE High Standard target pistol. But i think THAT was a bad magazine and the owner didnt wanna spend 40 bucks on a new one...

#45 · (Edited)
Even for simple plinking, I don't buy cheap Remington in the yellow/green bricks anymore, but am stuck with 1,500 rds.

This is the only .22 ammo which sometimes causes irritating, frequent gas blow-backs in the old Savage rifle.
Federal and the others are worth an extra few dollars, and never have this problem.

Last week had four gas bursts in six rounds, and this ammo was bought in mid-08. Shooting the Lee-Enfield "Jungle Carbine" was much more pleasant (recoil pad or not).

I'll take so-called "Commie-made junk" Bulgarian 7.62x54R ammo any day in the MN 44 (two mild bursts in 1,000 rds.) over this junk from near Little Rock, at Lonoke.
Should Remington (or anyone) decide to sell me a heap of British .303 for .25/rd, I'll gladly delete all of this and sing praises about their ammo.

#46 ·
I have never shot a more jusk ammo thab remington bulk 22. I quit buying remington ammo period cuz the trouble i had with em in my Marlin and MkIII

#47 ·
CCI Mini-Mag's are just another High Velocity 22 LR round. They are no more powerful than any other High Velocity 22 LR. Check out their specs on their web page; about 1200 FPS with 40 grain bullets. In my experience it is excellent ammo.

I use CCI Standard Velocity in all my target pistols. It is consistent, reliable, accurate ammo at a mid level price wise. I have stock piled enough to last many years based on my current consumption rate.

California just passed a law that limits handgun ammo purchases (I assume that includes 22 ammo?) to 50 rounds a month. It is to start in July 2010. It includes any ammo for which there is both a handgun and a rifle. I'll bet someone fights it in court as it is counter to self defense and home defense. You can not maintain your proficiency with a handgun only shooting 50 rounds a month. Add to that the liability of the state if someone can't buy ammo and gets hurt or killed by an intruder or a mugger. We are also looking forward to the micro marking of the firing pins at some point (??). CA sucks! Wish I were NOT here! Too many family ties keep me here. Darn.

I have tried several of the cheapy Walmart type ammos and the only one that is reasonably consistent in my guns is Federal Value Pak (525 rounds) Champion 36 grain Hollow Point High Velocity, product number 745. I have lots of it and it works well in most all my guns. I do limit the target pistols to Standard Velocity CCI, though. I gave up on CCI Blazer 22LR ammo as too many of my guns don't like it.

LDBennett

#48 ·
Should Remington (or anyone) decide to sell me a heap of British .303 for .25/rd, I'll gladly delete all of this and sing praises about their ammo.
LMAO - I like that :D:D:D

#49 ·
To the OP, which .22 firearm are you shooting?

As others haver mentioned, some are VERY finicky about ammo, some could care less.

I stay away from the lead point Thunderbolts cuz I find them pretty dirty shooting. All my .22 handguns except one eat up the Remington and Federal bulk box copper clads (around here they usually are $20 a box of 525 rounds) like candy. The holdout mistress is my P.I.A. Beretta Bobcat which refuses to funtion with anything other than CCI High velocity which definitely is the High-Priced spread.

#50 ·
To the OP, which .22 firearm are you shooting?

As others haver mentioned, some are VERY finicky about ammo, some could care less.
Beth has a P22 and so far I believe she has only shot CCI minimags through it.

#51 ·
California just passed a law that limits handgun ammo purchases (I assume that includes 22 ammo?) to 50 rounds a month. It is to start in July 2010. It includes any ammo for which there is both a handgun and a rifle. I'll bet someone fights it in court as it is counter to self defense and home defense. You can not maintain your proficiency with a handgun only shooting 50 rounds a month. Add to that the liability of the state if someone can't buy ammo and gets hurt or killed by an intruder or a mugger. We are also looking forward to the micro marking of the firing pins at some point (??). CA sucks! Wish I were NOT here! Too many family ties keep me here. Darn.

LDBennett
Good to know. I heard Febuary, not July. Gives me more time to stockpile. Was told by local dealer that 22 ammo was not being limited. Don't know if he is right or not. Ca does suck. Stuck here also, same reasons.
LD just wondering if your family came from Oaklahoma?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.