Need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Finaddict, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

Right now I have a p.o.c. S&W Sigma 40 Cal model SW40F and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I found out that you can't make any mods to the trigger so it's useless to me. So now I'm in the market for a new pistol. I don't care what the action is. I want the most accurate caliber if calibers have an effect on accuracy. I also want a gun that I can, I mean a smitty can, easily make modifications to such as the trigger or whatever. I'm asking for suggestions from you experienced folks since there are so many pistols to choose from on the market.

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Fin, I agree with you on the S&W Sigma .40. It really is a POS! I bought one too and that heavy trigger makes it impossible for me to hit the broad side of a barn with it.

As for other choices . . . there are many out there. If you're looking for accuracy and want to be able to modify the weapon, you really can't beat a good 1911 in .45 ACP, which is of course, a single action auto. The only trouble with these is that they tend to be on the expensive side of the equation. You're likely looking at upwards of $1000 for a good one, though I think there are some military style basic pistols out there for less than that. Personally, I like the Glock pistols and among those there are many, many choices. The Glock 17 in 9mm is the classic one, and yes, you can modify these pistols with after market parts. The Glocks come with a standard 5.5 lb. trigger pull, but you can easily replace the trigger and reduce the pull to about 3.5 lbs. Glock makes a full-size, compact, and mini-Glocks in 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .45 ACP. For best accuracy I would go with either the 9mm or .45. Hope this helps a little.
  3. punchie

punchie Member

If you want to tinker, personalize, customize you can not beat a 1911 style pistol. Available calibers range powerwise from the lowly 9mm up thru the 460 Rowland with most anything in between. I personally would not start with any pistol of less quality than a Springfield basic model. What you can do is limited only by your imagination and wallet.
  4. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

I appreciate the replies fellas! It sounds like that 1911 is the THANG to have. I wish I could spend that much on one. I've heard a lot about the Glocks and I'll do some research on the Springfields. Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks,
    Steve
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I like the Kimbers a lot good supply of parts to customize it.
  6. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

Man o man! Y'all mentioned the 1911 and that looks like one sweet gun. I've been doing some looking around and it seems that several companies make the 1911 now. If I were to look at buying one from a company other than Colt which ones should I stay away from and which ones are the most reputable? I sure like that Colt 1911 but it's got one heavy price tag on it. :(

Thanks,
    Steve
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Kimber is an excellent gun. They are mid to high price range, but well worth it to me. Springfield is a good gun for the money. Not quite up to Kimber or some of the other big boys as far as quality, but definately worth looking at, especially if your on a budget. When it comes to 1911's I tend to want to get the good stuff right off where I dont have to customize or tune anything. That's why I paid for a Kimber. It is my carry gun, so I spared no expense. For just a play gun, I'd go with the springfield. Gotta have my Kimber for the workhorse.