Need suggestions for a deer hunting rifle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pat Hurley, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Thinking my 91 year old father would surely turn down my offer to join us in South Carolina for the First Annual TFF Deer Hunt :rolleyes:, I made the offer. Imagine my surprise when he enthusiastically agreed. So, I am now in the awkward position of finding him a deer rifle - a really good value, please - that will do the trick without causing him to need shoulder surgery when we're all done.

Now I'm not suggesting that he is some kind of geriatric invalid... far from it. He's spry, witty, lucid, and apparently, adventurous. In reality, he's a lot closer to 81 than 91.

I would prefer the rifle to be new and already scoped. Brands and model suggestions, please.

What caliber(s) would be ideal under the circumstances?

HELP!
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Marlin 336 in .35 Remington topped with a decent 4X32 scope - can't beat it!
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

If he/you like a bolt action, the Stevens brand, made by Savage, offers the model 200. They offer a short and a long action in five calibers each. I'm sure you can find a suitable caliber and I'll let you make the choice on that but the whole point of the Stevens brand is Savage quality at a bargain. Depends on where you buy it I guess but my friend bought one in .30-06 a while back and it came with a 3-9x40 Bushnell, mounted and sighted by the gunsmith at the shop.
  4. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Would a 30-30 be alright for him? Could even find a bolt if that is what he likes.
    Good Luck
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

.30-30 would be a good choice. I like the Marlin 336 in that caliber.

If he's looking for something in a bolt action, he might consider a Savage in .243 as an easy-on-the-shoulder, decent round.
  6. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

MARLIN / H&R / NEF
    single shot break open rifle
    .243 win
    3X9X50 scope

cheap, simple, reliable, easy to operate, accuratte, light recoil

best regards, mike.
  7. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Pat, do you find it interesting, as I do, that in your "deer season....cartridge debate" poll there's no votes for .243 and only one for .30-30 yet there is two for each above. I know the situation is different and the guys are suggesting what would be a light recoil round for your father but it just seems a little funny. And for the record I'd tend to reccomend the .308 in a Managed Recoil rd. offered by Remington (125gr. core-lokt psp, order no. RL308W1). And stick with Stevens.

John, Savage is great, but he wants "really good value" so Stevens is a lot cheaper and still has the Savage logo on the grip-cap.
  8. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

i was not certain that the gun i referenced was offered in .30-30 wcf...

i thought the .243 win was a softer option that would still have the range and wieght to knock down deer...

and while the .35 rem is a great sledgehammer brushgun round i would not want to fire it were i 91 years old...

best regards, mike.
  9. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Bunny:

I have noticed indeed. I can only speculate that there is cartridge snobbery as much as their is gun snobbery. I also think that there is a reluctance among many to admit small(er) cartridge or small(er) caliber preferences. It doesn't sound manly enough for public discourse, so go with the big honkin' option and - BAM! - kick your testosterone level up a notch. That's my guess, but I could be wrong.

It just doesn't make sense that the .243 would get NO votes. It's a very popular deer cartridge, AND varmint killer.

Look, the .30-06 is the classic deer cartridge, but I find the poll tally to be oddly over-weighted toward the .30-06. C'est la vie! :)
  10. ken w.

ken w. Member

Being that he is 91 years old,the 30-30 might be quite alot of recoil.I used a 30-30 for years untill I injured by lower back and the recoil is too much for me now.I use a 6MM now with a recoil pad and have no problem.Deer don't run more than 40 yards and there isn't an exit wound.The .243 is just as good too.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

check into mossbergs new 100 atr combos, as far as i know they only offer them in .30-06 and .270 win. (my catalogs are last years edition) both of which(calibers) offer the managed recoil option that bunnyhunter mentioned. i mounted and sighted a scope on one for a friend last fall(270 win) and it shot 1 ragged hole(5 shot group) @ 100 yds out of the box. i think the combos retail somewhere in the ballpark of 300-350 dollars tax n all...
  12. Nortranman

Nortranman New Member

Gotta go with the Stevens 243 Win. Bought one recently and find that it is very accurate with very little recoil. Plus It is very inexpensive. I went with a Simmons 3X9X40. An excellent scope and again very well priced.
  13. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

how about a 6.5 x 55 Swedish mauser Tikka T3 check the for sale adds I know there is one there and a scope could be put back on it. :D
    Light recoil killer round and a great gun built by SAKO
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Fine caliber and rifle, but it ain't conna be a 'budget' rifle; also, scope mounts, if not includer, are 'not so common' items.
    Kimber, I think, was selling 'sporterized' 6.5 Swedes, some time back, and the price seemed reasonable to cheap!
    The is the everyday equivalent of the 6.5x56 mm Mannllicher Shoenauer cartridge, with more affordable rifles, and ammo!
    Excellent choice, for any of us!
  15. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

Remington bolt action or Savage / Stevens in 22-250 , using good quality bullets in the 55 to 62 grain , they will put any deer down in its track out to at least 250 yards , very little recoil and if you can find one a 788 is a darn nice little rifle