Need suggestions for a friend.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RunningOnMT, Mar 15, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

My shooting buddy wants to take the CCW class. I told him since I wasn't really happy with the level of instruction when I took it a couple years ago that I'd take it with him.

He currently owns only shotguns and .22's so he's been shooting my two 1911's when we go to the range. These are not hi end models but he loves them and shoots very well.

The problem is he has arthritis real bad in his hands and racking the slide is difficult for him and at times impossible. This guy is no wimp. We once worked on the railroad together doing some back breaking work and now we are both paying the price.

My friend does not like revolvers so my question is "what would you recommend in an auto in suitable cal for self defense that would be easier for him to operate?" My only experience with autos has been with SA XD 40 and 1911's. I'm afraid the XD may be too hard for him to rack the slide also. Any suggestions?
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Difficulty racking the slide is a concern for many.

No offense to you or your friend here, but there is a website called "the cornered cat" that caters to female shooters. They have an article teaching different methods for racking the slide on a semi auto. The article can be found here. See if it provides any info that can help your friend.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks lurpy, I'll check that out. I suggested my friend use a 1911 and use one of those rubber jar openers just to take the course but he doesnt want to have to grab one of those in a real self defense scenario.
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

What about those plastic guns(glock)How bad are his hands??
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here in Ohio he doesn't have to take or qualify in his CCW class with the weapon he finally decides to carry. When I took my class there was every conceivable type of hand gun in use. One husband and wife even shared a single action .22 revolver. That was sort of ridiculous but it was allowed by the instuctor. I would suggest he break this down into two problems, one what he can shoot comfortably in the CCW class and two what he will finally choose as his carry gun or guns. Heck let him take the course with one of your .22 revolvers. Gun handling safety and the law are what is going to be emphasized most not your accuracy.
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

We're in Ohio too but the guy that teaches this class wont allow anything less than a .38 to be used. Given my friends dislike of wheel guns that leaves .38 super and up to choose from. We have to find an auto in any caliber that he can operate. Oddly enough he doesn't seem to have a problem shooting them...just racking the slide.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My Colt Gold Cup .45acp has a 10 pound recoil spring and it is a real pussy cat to rack the slide on but you are limited to lower powered target loads. Maybe you could experiment with some of the other different spring rates and see if you could come up with one that would handle combat loading and still make it easier for him to rack. Just a thought.
  8. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

JMHO RoMT, but if it was my friend - I'd find someone else to teach him the CCW course..... :rolleyes: The caliber of the firearm used in the CCW class shouldn't make any difference! :confused: As others have said, firearm safety & local laws are what is important & I would think if the instructor wants to earn the $100 (or whatever he's charging) that he would at least make allowances for the disabled. :mad:

As far as your friend's choice of firearm for CCW - I'd recommend a Kel-tec 9mm & have him practice racking the slide under his arm..... (armpit grab). The Kel-Tec PF-9 is 8rds (7+1) of 9mm, cheap (under $300), powerful, small, indestructible, and most importantly, reliable!

If 8rds isn't enough, the Kel-tec P-11 holds 11rds & BudsGunGhop.com is selling them for
    $251 new! :eek: :D

SR
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Gonna have to agree with Suicide Ride. "but the guy that teaches this class wont allow anything less than a .38 to be used." :eek: Find a new class. The teacher's prejudices should not make a difference. What if, God forbid, the only thing you own is a 22? You don't deserve the right to carry a gun because yours is not big enough to suit the teacher?
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yep. I qualified with a .22 semiautomatic. No way I'd carry that for self defense, unless it was all I had access to...

It's about handling the gun and being able to hit your target, not about 'big' calibers.
  11. jondar

jondar New Member

Is .380 ACP acceptable? Beretta made (makes?) a model similar to their Cheetah line which has the tip-up barrell. Loading and unloading with the flick of a thumb lever. Not a cheap fix, but if that's what's needed............
  12. lentz

lentz Former Guest

[QUOTE=todd51;611 One husband and wife even shared a single action .22 revolver. That was sort of ridiculous but it was allowed by the instuctor.

I used a .22 revolver to take the course. At least 6 semi-automatics jammed
    on each volley out of the 15 people there.
  13. DARIN

DARIN New Member

Don`t know about the plastic part but I would try to find something with a wider demension in order for him to get a better grip. S&W or Glock would be a starter. Take him to the gun store and let him decide what he likes best. Just a thought...
  14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I have a Kel-Tec .380 and the slide racks easier than any semi I've tried and I've put almost 300 rounds through it without a burp. It's not a fun gun to shoot because it's so small and light but once you break it in and get to where you are used to the long trigger pull, you won't have to shoot it unless you must.
  15. wpage

wpage Active Member

Have your friend try out the ruger p95dc in 9mm. A great gun and has very little kick.
    The full kit in composite and stainless is under $400.00 with 2 clips and a locking case made in USA!