need the experts advice

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 358 winchester, Oct 20, 2004.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Because of lots of reasons Carla and I are down sizing into a much smaller home, and I am downsizing my gun collection by over half.( no punchie I am not giving up my 22's)
    the two calibers that I will not be giving up are 45acp and 357mag.
    I want some advice on a desert eagle 357mag. I have been tucking away some money from the sell on some of my guns and have been thinking hard about buying the 6inch model. I do not want the 357SIG I will only be keeping the two center fire hand gun calibers and do not have the room for another caliber.
    are they worth the money
    do they shoot well
    how is the accuracy
    what does the recoil compare to
    and how do they fit your hand
    none of the local stores have on for me to handle so I have to ask
    thanks for your help
    Ron
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Moved the thread because the information being sought is very largely subjective instead of historical or value-related. You'd get a much wider variety of opinion in this forum.

Anyhow, I personally am not a big fan of the Desert Eagle pistol chambered for .357 Magnum. The gun was designed for the .44 platform and it much bigger than it needs to be for the .357. It fits only large hands well.

If I were in the market for one, I'd try to find a used one at the cheap-enough level, that way I could get back out of it.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Ron, have you looked at a Coonan Arms .357 mag auto. It is based on the 1911 frame and slide. Much easier to handle and if you are used to a .45 auto, then this is just iceing on the cake. Just a thought!

Have a look!

Coonan Arms
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Yep I am looking at them also.
    I have never shot either and was looking for the feed back.
    And so far including some emails I think that the D.E. is not evening coming 5th place.
    Ron
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

The desert eagle in .357 is an overweight, over engineered pistol that will shoot tighter than you can hold, with really minimal recoil.
    The analogy might be like shooting rats with a Win 52.
    The pistol was, when last I shot one, nearly target grade, but very heavy for the caliber; this applies, in lesser amount, to all three calibers.
    Would I own one? Depending on the price, yes; maybe with all three top ends, if price was right! Hope this adds to the confusion... Terry