Need to fit a thumb safety on a Para Ordnance 16.40 LDA

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hotshot666, Mar 29, 2011.

1. hotshot666

hotshot666 New Member

I have a PO 16.40 LDA and want to change out the thumb safety with a Wilson Combat extended thumb safety to match the Wilson extended slide stop I already have on this firearm. The slide stop took no fitting and works perfect as is. I already know the thumb safety is going to need to be fitted (the shaft of the pin is too large in diameter to fit through the stock grip safety, but it will fit the frame w/out the grip safety installed. Go figure!). Any help here would be awesome.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Welcome to para's weird specs. Two things you can do. First I would fit the thumb safety w/o the grip safety for now. after thats squared away either bore the hole larger to fit the safety or replace the grip safety too. It will also require fitting.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

assemble it without the grip safety and make sure it works perfectly.

Then take the old thumb safety and put some lapping compound on it and work it in and out of the grip safety til the grip safety will fit the new thumb safety...

It shouldnt remove so much from the old thumb safety that you wouldnt be able to reinstall it and use it in the event the new thumb safety should fail or break.

At least this is what I would do...
  4. hotshot666

hotshot666 New Member

Thanks, guys. I'll try your advice and see if I can't get it done. I'll let y'all know.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

please do. :)

good luck!