1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need to help finding out what this gun is and what its worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kprice30, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kprice30

kprice30 New Member

I have this gun, I'm not sure what kind it is. I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'd like to find out what kind it is and what it is worth. mobile pics 020.jpg

mobile pics 021.jpg
    This markings on it say Black power only Ultra-Hi Japan 7636 and it has a eagle with US under it.
  2. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

It's a reproduction 25-50 years old of a flintlock pistol, roughly copying the English type of the late flint period, after 1800. Not an exact copy of any particular model.
  3. kprice30

kprice30 New Member

Do you have any idea what it might be worth?
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Depending on who/where it was made from 50-125 bucks.
  5. kprice30

kprice30 New Member

6. Danny

Danny Member

I had one of these for years hanging it my gun room , same as yours , & put it on BRANDX and fetched 250 plus shipping for it. There are some people that just love flintlock pistols & rifles and are willing to pay top dollar for a weapon that is factory & not a kit gun. Hope this helps you some?
    Kind Regards
    Danny
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, I second what Danny says, if you want to sell it, hang it out on "the site that will remain nameless" and see what it will bring.

You may be surpirsed.

Just try and get as GOOD and DETAILED pictures as you can, and as many as you can, and be as DETAILED as you can right down to the last blemish or rust spot you can in the description, start the bidding at the MINIMUM price you would take for it (Do NOT post a "reserve," many bidders are like me and will NOT bid on a "reserve" auction no matter what the price is at....)

..And see what happens. You may be pleasantly surrpised.

Not too long ago I traded a used but decent Remington Model 10 Shotgun for a BP pistol that caught my eye at a show, intending to use it for deer hunting...until AFTER I swung the deal I remembered 12" barreled .50 caliber was the minimum caliber for muzzleloading pistols in my state, and this SWEET gun with the more than 12" barrel was a .45... :mad:

I sat on it for years, and checked out all the ways to rebarrel it to .50, it was a GREAT shooter, but I had no use for it, and figured WTH, the Model 10 was worth maybe $175, even though I only had $150 into it, I hung the pistol out on "Brand x" with a $175 opening bid, no reserve, for 7 days, and was AMAZED at the interest. I didn't sell it for a FORTUNE or anything but let's just say that years ago trade I regretted for those same years ended up NOT turning out badly.:)

The KEY is...NO RESERVE.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

While those Japanese guns were made to shoot (i.e., they are not dummies), the fact is that most have very soft firzzens and won't fire reliably. If you can get $250 for it, my recommendation would be to sell and make a quick getaway. As Danny says, there are some folks who just seem drawn to flintlocks, but those guns have no serious collector interest.

Jim
  9. kprice30

kprice30 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful.