Need To Modify My FEG PA-63...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RocketmanVT, Nov 22, 2008.

1. RocketmanVT

RocketmanVT New Member

I've purchased an FEG PA-63 from my former employer, Century International Arms, and need to make some modifications...
    I have large hands, and the 'slide bite' really sucks - plus, I hate the tang at the top of the backstrap. Is there a manufacturer of larger grips that will fit the PA-63 frame, so I don't have to grip it with my pinkie under the magazine?
    Also, the gun doesn't seem to like hollow-point ammo, at least the Russian stuff made by Silver Bear; is this common with this piece? I can't seem to find other HP ammo in 9mm Mak...
    And that DA trigger pull! Hmmpph.:p I've heard there are spring kits available for the li'l gun, but cannot remember where I saw the info.
    If anyone can tell me where to find the stuff to make the FEG shootable for fun and self-defense, I'd truly appreciate it!
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

My FEG PA-63 bites my hand too and I have small hands! Its the nature of the beast and most small guns like it. It is a copy of the Walther PPK, by the way.

To help the hand bite, I put skateboard grip tape on the back of the grip frame. That keeps my grip low if I make it that way to start with.

The heavy trigger pull is due mostly to the spring driving the small pin you see just in front of the hammer when you pull the slide off. It is part of the firing pin safety system and is collapsed by the pull of the trigger. Changing the spring to one that just allows the pin to be under spring control and no more, reduces the trigger pull to a reasonable level. No other work is necessary, considering this is not a target pistol but a carry protection gun.

One of the mistakes I and others have made when starting pistol shooting (over 20 years ago in my case) was buying one of these small carry guns and trying to use it for plinking. The guns are too small (hand bite and not all the hand will fit on the grips), too light (recoil with the small grip makes the gun move around in your hand and abrades the hand with agressive grip patterns), not all that accurate, takes expensive centerfire ammo, and in general not that much fun to shoot. A person would be much better off with a good Target style pistol in the vein of a Ruger Mk II or III, a Browning Buckmark, or a S&W 22A/S. There are other good target pistol (not plastic, at least a 5.5 inch barrel preferably bull, and not the plinker models) but in inexpensive to shoot 22LR. The carry gun should be used to practice self defense only, where it will serve its intended function. I made this mistake early on too, but rectified it back then with a Ruger MK II 5.5 inch Stainless Bull Barelled Target model. Then shooting became fun and I could actually hit something!

This may not be you specific case, RocketmanVT, but most certainly is others.

This is my opinion and other's may differ.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. RocketmanVT

RocketmanVT New Member

Thanks for the input, LDBennett!
    Any idea where I can find larger grips, and the spring kit for the PA-63?
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

You can google Wolff Springs, grips? as far as I know ther are no grips for the PA-63 to make the grips longer. You can make them thicker with Hogue Handall slip on grips but not longer. One word of caution and this is important. The PA-63 uses a horseshoe sear, the same as a Walther PP or PPK. however, the sear pivot pins are staked in on a Walther, on a PA-63 the grips hold them in. Remove the grips and get careless, and you will be on your hands and knees looking for very small pins. Been there , done that.
  5. RocketmanVT

RocketmanVT New Member

RJay,
    Thanks for the word of caution. When I'm tearing down an unfamiliar firearm, I always put it in a large, clear plastic bag - saves my knees when those li'l tiny springs go, "SPROINGGG."
    Not to mention my not turning the air blue with words a longshoreman shouldn't hear...
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

check out makarov.com . yes i know it's not a mak. but they have a section on it and also a grip maker from hungry that makes excellent grips
  7. RJay

RJay Active Member

Isn't the Makarov page down and out. Which is a shame, I've gotten a lot from them.
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

GEEZ NOT SURE IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE CHECKED THEM OUT . IT WOULD BE A SHAME AND THE LINK TO THE GRIP MAKER WOULD BE LOST. HE MADE GREAT GRIPS FOR THE MAK, PA-63 P64 POLISH 9/18 AND THE CZ MODEL 82 AND 83
  9. lead

lead Active Member

There have been some wood grips listed on the auction sites for awhile now that really dress up the gun. For just comfort though, get the slip on grip.
    Wolff Springs make replacement springs that make this gun slot more comfortable to shoot. Get a heavier recoil spring, and a lighter hammer spring for it.
    It is a Walther copy. It is intended as a small personal defense weapon, not really a plinker. Mine has been a pretty good performer so far. I haven't gotten bitten yet. I shoot mostly Brown Bear ammo.
    Besides Silver Bear, I know Hornady makes 9x18 HP ammo, but I haven't tried any yet.
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

check out www.marschalgrips.com. he makes various grips for guns like the makarov, the feg pa-63 the polish p-64 and a few cz's he does excellent work and prices his wares fairly.
  11. mjbartn

mjbartn Guest

I picked up the heaviest recoil and lightest hammer spring for my PA-63 and AP-MBP from Wolff Springs. Completely cured heavy tripger pull in DA. I don't seem to have any problems with recoil in these two weapons, could be the heavier recoil spring, saves the alloy frame also.

My P-64 beats me up. Heavier recoil sping didn't help here. I ordered some Marschal Grips for it.
  12. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

I had some PA 63 pistols quite a few years ago and got rid of them because of the bite on the thumb web.

Someone told me that stretching the springs cured the bite problem so I bought a few more of them and tried it and it did help somewhat although they still have a bite.

I just got 3 PA 64 pistols and these things are real KILLERS.......for the shooter that is!

Me and my two sons went and test fired the PA 64s last Sunday and those things are KILLERS for the thumb web.

There has got to be something that can be modified to make these things less painful.

Are the wolff spring kits the real cure for the torture?

Is there some whimpy ammo that can be used in them?

Right now I have Wolf Miltary and have also tried Silver Bear.

I am going to check into the spring kits but is there any more advice?

Take care,

KJB
  13. mjbartn

mjbartn Guest

I replaced the springs before I even shot the PA. I haven't noticed any web bite. I shoot the same ammo you are using. As I said in an earlier post my P64 beat me up but not the PA shooting the same ammo. The springs are cheap and at the least save your alloy frame.
  14. King James Bond

mjbartn,

Thanks, I have already found Wolff on the web and I will be ordering springs for them.

PA 64 in my post was meant to be P64.

Those P64 pistols hurt dont they.

They are some pretty nice looking guns and shoot well for the shots we put through them.

KJB
  15. mjbartn

mjbartn Guest

Yea the P-64 can be a brute. I chaneg the springs to the heaviest wollf has. I thiunk they were 22lbs. I had to grind away the ends on the spring to give me enough room to get the slide back on. This is normal for some P64 and 22lbs Wolff spring combos. Just grind the ends of the springs flat until you can put the slide back on. I have to tell you on my 64 it didn't tame the brute. I just received a set of custom grips from Denis. I am counting on the better ergonomics of Denis' grips to help me hold onto the pistol and reduce or eliminate the sting in the web of my hand. If this pistol wasn't so pretty and shot so accurate I wouldn't bother.
  16. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the grips from dennis are great. it'll help control the gun look damn good too
  17. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The P64 seems to be the same design as the FEG PA-63 and the Walther PPK. I have a FEG PA-63 that bit me too and I don't have fleshy hands at all. What I did was put skate board grip tape peices on the grip frame, front and rear, and hold the gun lower. As long as I remember to hold the gun lower it doesn't bite me. The grip tape give me a good grip so that the my hand doesn't slide up the grip under recoil to get caught by the hammer.

LDBennett
  18. mjbartn

mjbartn Guest

The P-64 has a smaller backstrap than the FEG pistols. That coupled with the smaller grips contributes to the problem.

I also suspect that part of the problem is how the shooter grips the pistol. This is evidenced by the tape solution. It tends to force the hand lower on the pistol.

I never had a problem with the PA, I assume it is the way I grip the pistol. I have medium to large hands.

Whatever the reason I continue to reccomend putting the heaviest recoil spring and still allow the pistol to function. It may tame some of the hand problems, at the least it reduces the stress on the alloy frames.
  19. King James Bond

To all of you..........thanks very much for the advice and input.

I contacted J&G Sales which is the place where I purchased the P64 pistols and told them about the problem and they said they would take them back if I exchanged them for something else withing 30 days. I have to say that was really nice of them.

I might take a drive down there and exchange them for CZ82 pistols.

It is something I will think about for a little while but I heard they were a lot less abusive on the hands.

I will keep the PA63s as they were not as bad of a sting.

Anybody know much about them......the CZ82s in 9X18?

Thanks,

KJB
  20. iwannasee

iwannasee New Member

Here is my PA-63 alongside the CZ-82.
    CZ is a much nicer firearm. Higher capacity and easier on the hand too.

[​IMG]