Need Winchester model 37 information...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by ngrave, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ngrave

ngrave New Member

Hello! New to the forums, here. Been lurking for awhile, and have found some great information. Maybe you all can answer this question for me:

I have a Winchester model 37 20 gauge frame/receiver, no stamp on the bottom, probably post 1948/49. Is this frame interchangeable with other model 37 gauges? In other words, did Winchester make a one-size-fits-all frame, or is this one strictly for a 20 gauge?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your answers.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hi, ngrave. I don't know the answer to your question but I wanted to take a second to welcome you to the forum. I am sure that some one will come along any time to answer!
  3. ngrave

ngrave New Member

Thanks, gdmoody! Look forward to hearing from you all.
  4. WinBill

WinBill New Member

Hello NGrave,

According to the "Winchester Handbook" by Madis, the M-37 was made with three different frame sizes.

The widest frame was used on the 12 and 16 Ga. The intermediate frame was used on the 20 and 28 Ga. The narrowest was used on the .410 guns.

Unless you are looking for a project, I think you could find a complete gun for a lot less than replacing the barrel, fore end and stock.

Best regards,

WinBill