The Firearms Forum banner

Need Your Help GUYOT Question?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hrf 
#1 ·
Vet Bring Back

Markings as follows:

• "ASIER" and then illegible (left side of barrel)
  • "GUYOT RUE DE LYON 48 PARIS" (bottom pistol grip)
  • "GUYOT PARIS" but if you look inside that mark you also see what looks like additional lettering, looks like a "P" inside the U of GUYOT and a "R" in the space between the U & Y (top of barrel)

I would like to know:

• where was it made?
  • who made it?
  • what year is it made?
  • what is it's value as it sits un-restored?
  • would you recommend having it professionally cleaned and restored?
I sincerely thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Thank you,
Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Acier Steel, fancy name for good steel ( so called fluid steel, not cast ). Your gun is a typical pin fire from the 1860 to 1880, French made. Now this is just guess and by golly. GUYOT is not one specific maker. A number of fine shotguns and hand guns were sold under the name, I believe it is a either a co-op or a retailer. The European version of " Trade Names " . The English, Belgium and Spanish did this quite a bit, and I see no reason the French couldn't do the same. That information is just what I 've been able to glen from the internet and my references, It may or may not contain any factual facts and any resemblance to persons living or dead is on purpose.

#3 ·
Sorry to nitpick, but IIRC, "acier" is just the French word for steel, not cast or crucible steel in particular.

As RJay says, Guyot could have been either a maker or a retailer. With a Paris address, my guess would be a retailer.

It is a pinfire revolver, and the manufacture of those began in the 1840's (I think) and persisted into the 1880's or so. Pinfire means that each cartridge (round of ammunition) had its own firing pin, sticking up through the little slots at the back end of the cylinder.

Personally, I would not have it cleaned (beyond what you can do yourself with gun oil) or restored. It would be very difficult to find anyone who could do it well, and it would cost far more than it was worth, because very few American gun collectors are interested in guns of this type.

It is an interesting novelty and a piece of world and firearms history, but not very valuable. I don't know enough to put a value on it, or even a useful range. It might worth be as little as $50, but I have no idea what the top would be. Sorry not to be more help.

#4 · (Edited)
"acier" is just the French word for steel, not cast or crucible steel in particular.
The second word partly visible is "fondu" which an online translator renders as "well-blended"
so "good steel" is close enough.

The phrase ACIER FONDU is found on many French and Belgian guns.

First time I've seen an antique revolver marked on grips like that. They must be ebony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.