Need Zippo lighter help!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grandpa1948, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Grandpa1948

Grandpa1948 New Member

First, let me apologize for bringing up a lighter question on this forum. But, in my defense, this is the only place I know of to go for correct information. Also, the lighter has the big letters "NRA" on the side. It was a Christmas present from my daughter, to a lifetime Endowment member.

After a 2 month search, I located the official "Zippo" lighter fluid, and charged the lighter according to instructions. About 3 weeks later, I tried to use the lighter, and had no flame. It seems the lighter was out of fluid, the wick was dry. I recharged the lighter, and upon next use, it was dry again.

I am a non-smoker (except for 2 or 3 Cuban cigars a year), but have this "man thing" about wanting fire when I want it.

I hope some expert out there can tell me what my problem is, and how often you should have to refill this lighter. Many thanks in advance.
  2. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

When I smoked I always had a zippo. But u have to refill them about once a week if you don't use them and more often if u do. The top is not air tight and the wick is always wicking fluid up flame or not. Most smoke shops have the zippo lighter fluid and in a pinch way back when 115/145 avgas would work great. The same when gasoline was real and not non lead like it is today

Hope this helps you
    Steve
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In memory, Zippos are all I've used. They repair their lighters FREE.
    I've sent mine, and my wifes back for repair ( twice for me, once for her ).

http://www.zippo.ca/repairs.php
  4. raven818

PS..tell them in a note about the refill issue. I fill mine about every 3 weeks, and I smoke a pack a day.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i mix kerosene and lighter fluid but i'm told i'm a nut for doing so ,

last a month or so without use though ..
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I used to live in Bradford and my Mother in law worked for ZIppo at the time and I had about 50 different zippos lighters at one time for my wife and I when we smoked. Yeah, we filled them about once a week or so.

I have one only now, and only smoke a cigar every now and again, maybe twice a month and every time I try to use it seems it is dry.

Maybe a month is the longest it will last, usually about two weeks max if not used.

If you are in Bradford, tour the museum. There are a couple that stopped a bullet in some servicemen's breast pocket in WWII on display. There is one that got crushed by a dozer too.

And yeah, they replaced them all too.
  7. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I use mine once a day, and it runs dry about every 2-3 weeks. Good solid lighter.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Sounds about right. Zippos are novelty, a bic will get you way farther. Did not stop me from using a zippo for a long time though.
  9. raven818

A person at a meeting asked me for a light. I gave him one with my Zippo. He said..a Zippo, Chuck? You struck me as a Butane man..and laughed. I don't know what that crack meant, but it convinced me to stay with my Zippos. azzho.
  10. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

mine gets filled every morning when i get up. I dont like running out.

And Cuban cigars are a no no. :eek:

But i also like to enjoy a good book from the LCDH.in switserland;)
  11. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

anyone know if there's any way to make a zippo airtight? say, put a rubber seal around the rim of the lid?
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thanks to this thread, Im going to buy a new Zippo. I had one before but that was a long time ago. I wish they made a Savage Arms Zippo. Oh yeah I smoke too, Camel and Marlboro, nothing like cigarettes and cold beer. Oh yeah NOT WITH GUNS though :)
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

They will evaporate.

When filling it, use a light squeeze on the can. I've seen guys squeeze the can like it's an empty beer can and end up with fluid running out of the wick hole and think it's full. It's not. If you go slow the cotton will absorb more fluid and last longer. A nice easy squeeze and then let the can breathe. When you get a couple of drops off the wick, it's full.
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

What others have said is pretty much true for me too. Anywhere from a week to three weeks was my typical refill time.
    I seldom carry one anymore except in the wintertime when butane lighters just don't like to cooperate. They're part of my winter survival "pocket gear".

The fluid will evaporate less quickly if the lid is still nice and tight fitting too. In other words, the old trick of snapping a Zippo open is one of the things not to do. :)

Personally, I prefer Ronsonol (Ronson brand) fluid over Zippo fluid. It lights better in cold weather and seems to last longer. I do prefer the Zippo flints to the Ronson flints though.

howlnmad's suggestion on filling it slowly is spot on too. It took me a long time to get the system down of how much is enough...but not too much.
    Many times I stuffed an overfilled one in my jeans and had to deal with that sting of lighter fluid on my leg until it would stop puking fluid.
  15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

That makes alot of sense, well said.