Needing a formula for HBWC in .38

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

BlackGun
    (12/27/01 5:24:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Needing a formula for HBWC in .38
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just received 1000 HBWC.38 in 148 Gr. from Berry's. I want a light target load using Unique powder. I need two things, one! what is the Gr. load and second what is the overall length to include the bullet! I have several reloading manuals, but none give me a recommended load for Unique and the above stated bullet!. All help appreciated.

IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
    IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

BlackGUN

kdub01
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/27/01 7:02:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Needing a formula for HBWC in .38
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BG -

A load of 3.5 gr Unique will give you a very nice mild target load with the 148 gr HBWC - approx. 600 fps.

Load to the crimp groove at the nose of the bullet, then crimp lightly. You can even seat the bullet completely into the case and then crimp right at the front edge of the bullet, if you want.

This is a load I used years ago for PPC shooting, along with 2.5 gr of Bullseye. The Unique seemed to shoot better groups and wasn't quite as smokey as the Bullseye.

BlackGun
    (12/27/01 7:32:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Needing a formula for HBWC in .38
    Thanks! kdub01. I appreciate your knowledge! My books didn't reflect this load!

IT'S GOD'S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BIN LADEN...
    IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!"

BlackGUN

loader44
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/02 11:24:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 38
    Hows it going BG?

My book has : 148gr wc, 3.2gr of unique, 775fps, m.o.l. 1.180

I load : 158 bb, 4.3gr of unique, 800fps, for my wife. She loves this load, will shoot 500rds at the range of this stuff each time we go.

Hope this helps.

loader44.

Tony Cam
    (3/11/02 3:28:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 38
    I assume you are talking about plated wad cutters from Berrys and not lead. If you have the speer manual and go to the 38 +p section, they have loads for a 146 grain plated bullet. I called up speer and they said all the loads listed there would be fine for 148 gr bullets. Just start at the beginning load and work up. I had the same bullets as you do and i forget the load i used but they shot beautifully.
    I used 2400 and 231, i forget the exact numbers.
    Hope this helps