Needing a recipe for Deer summer sausage?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Zane71464, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have several pounds of venision in the freezer and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for summer sausage?
    A friend of mine made me some and absolutly wont give me her recipe! (thinking what a friend) but if anyone has a good one to share.....I NEED it BAD! I have about 15lbs of ground meat and want to make the most of it, or rather something different.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Certainly no "secret family recipe" here, but I go down to the local processor and buy a bag of their sausage mix and spice it up with my own habanero powder, dried garlic, etc then cut the meat up into small chunks (Got any pork to toss in there?) and mix the powder and the meat together real good. After filling the skins I toss 'em on the smoker... To me it ain't the same unless it's smoked. If you don't have access to a smoker, many times a local BBQ place will smoke the links for you pretty cheap.

Good luck! :)

Crpdeth
  3. Crpdeth

Hmmm... I just noticed that you said you have "ground meat", that will work fine and some people think that you get the spices mixed in better if you start with ground meat (Not! lol), but one thing for sure is that it wont pull it's self through the grinder like chunks will... So no real biggie if you are just working with 15lbs, but you'll have to plunge the meat down in the hopper with a plastic plunger.

Crpdeth
  4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

Ok,I will give you my mom's recipe,so don't tell her.

5 lbs ground venison
    2.5 teaspoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2.5 teaspoons mustard seed
    5 teaspoons Morton tenderquick salt
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Thoroughly mix all seasonings.Add mixture to the ground venison.Refrigerate for 3 days,mixing once daily.On the 4th day,take mixture out and shape into 5 logs,about 1 lb each.Place logs on a broiler pan so the drippings will drip away.Use a baking thermometer inside the oven to regulate the heat.Check often to be sure the oven maintains an even 175 degrees.Bake at 175 degrees for 4-6 hours.Enjoy!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. Zane71464

Ok, that's what I'm looking for and definatly going to try that one.
    I do appreciate that very much so.
    Ive hunted and ate deer all my life and have done jerky that done pretty good. I have always ate others summer sausage that they have made but just never took an intrest, or rather the time to try it myself. But now I'm wanting to get into makeing it and just needed a good recipie to start from, and go from there.
    And thank you Crpdeth, took note on some good advice on that as well.
  6. Crpdeth

Welp...

How did it go?!?!?

:D
  7. Zane71464

:eek:Sorry so late getting back with a follow up:eek:
    ninjatoth, thank you much for the recipe! Here's what I did; I took your recipe and mixed all ingredants and put it in a zip-lock bag (without the meat). let it set a few and took a sniff test. I thought "what the heck" I'll add some personal touch to this batch. I'm one that litterally takes the phrase "the more the marrier" to the extent. So with you recipe I added a few things and presto...got a good tasting summer sausage.
    However, ninjatoth your recipe was the MAIN thing going on there and for that I appreciate that a whole heck of a lot!
    Tell your Mom I said Thank You!