Sporting Handgun™ FMJ 230 grain tested OAL 1.200"
Sporting Handgun™ JHP 230 grain tested OAL 1.200"

Primer fed. 150 / tested barrel 6" 1-16" twist

HP-38 4.5 grain 640 fps
5.0 grain 700 fps
5.5 grain 760 fps (max load)

W231 4.8 grain 670 fps
5.3 grain 730 fps
5.8 grain 790 fps (max) (most accurate load tested)
W231 most accurate powder tested

I can mail you the page ifyou wish.

#4 ·
DB, the Lee reloading manual is just a list of loads that were worked up by the real reloading manuals. Lee does not load these rounds, and test them. They just provide information from real reloading manuals. You might want to think about getting a Nosler, and Hornady, reloading manual, get them both.

#5 ·
yep, I have an Speer, Lyman, Lee 2nd and Hornday book but the particular bullet /powder combo I am wanting to load isn't listed

I do need to add a good modern loading manual to my collection.

If you guys could recommend one which would it be? I prefer a printed book, but if one came with a CD or thumb drive back up that would be awesome.

And a hearty Texas thank you to vassago for helping me out. I have a new friend in the Netherlands

#6 ·
db, I'm speaking only from my 9mm experience, so your 45 may be different.
On the 9 the profile of the xtp is different from other hp. It has a longer surface that engages the rifling. When I first assembled to my normal 115 gn hp OAL of 1,125, it failed the plunk test in my two 9mm pistols. I really didn't want to go down to the Hornady recommended oal 1.075 because I was loading with Titegroup and it's too sensitive to minor variations. I ended up going with Unique at oal 1.080 which did pass the plunk test. Just some food for thought.

Reactions: dbcooper
#12 ·
And back in the 7th Ed manual, the 750fps slot is 5.4gr instead of 5.3gr. The other two slots are the same.
COAL for the 230gr XTP is listed as 1.230". Another little difference.
So apparently they did retest the data somewhere between the 7th and the 9th Ed manuals. :)

#14 ·
The wife went to wally world yesterday and they had a Hornady loading manual so she got it for me.
The 45 ACP is the only caliber I still load on a Lee Pro 1000 , and I kept looking at the HP 38 loads and am not happy with the throws I'm getting with that using the Lee so I switched powders to
SR 4756 as it seems to meter a little better for me. I loaded up 25 rounds at 7.0 and can't wait to try them out. As soon as the ICE MELTS !

I really need to get the caliber conversion for 45 for my Dillon machine and I can say goodbye to the Lee disk system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.