Needing some gun advice

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by srr9p, Dec 18, 2011.

1. srr9p

srr9p New Member

I currently own the smith & wesson 380 bodyguard. It serves it's purpose for conceal, but I want to start shooting recreationally and maybe even competitively. I would like to pick up a .22 pistol. I have a budget, unfortunately due to college expenses, but I was hoping to get something around $350 or under. I was wondering what was your all's favorite .22's and why. I am also trying to decide between a semi-automatic and revolver. I have shot around 10 different guns and taken a pistol course, but I'm a girl, and I just don't have as much experience with firearms as many of you so any "pearls of wisdom" would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. geds

geds New Member

Welcome srr9p from the Heart of Dixie! There are lots of very knowledgeable folks on this forum who will be happy to provide you with lots of good advice. I would like to hear their answers to you as I have the same question....
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome aboard! You should go shopping and put your hands on dozens of different guns and get a feel for what fits you best. I will tell you that I bought my wife a walther p22 and she absolutely loves it. They run a bit more than 350 but she loves the fit and feel of the gun and as long as its maintained (cleaned regular), it operates flawlessly. The ruger mark 3 is a great 22 pistol as well. So, I could name 3-4 more but really the best thing is for you to just go shopping and get what suits you. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The Ruger semi auto's are good but difficult to master reassembly. For 200 or a little more you can get a really good H&R Sportsman 9 shot revolver.
  5. Whodat

Whodat New Member

With a 350 budget, the best bang , new 22lr, semi-auto, Bersa Firestorm. If used is not a problem, S&W 422,622,2213,2214 semi-auto. Excellent pistols. It's hard to find a good revolver for less than $400.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Welcome srr9p! :)

I will echo what Double D said. Get what feels the most comfortable in your hands. It's the most basic starting point.

If it feels good... Shoot it! :D
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Ruger MKIII Bull Barrel....I bought mine at Bass Pro for $300. You can leave it stock or trick it out and you never want to get rid of it.
  8. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

My girlfriend and I are both 20 and in college and we really like .22 semi auto rifles. I much prefer shooting from a table and going for long shots. (We have a Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22.) .22 handguns are fun too, my dad has a Browning Medalist but it doesn't get used much. I would like to get a Browning Buckmark, those are supposed to be really accurate as well. If you're set on a .22 handgun, like others have said, the Ruger Mark is a great choice.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i like u had many many questions and everyone here will be glad to help you, so ask away. i took my pistol class and tried out different pistols but when i tried the p22 i fell in love it just felt comfortable in my hand, like a glove so i bought one i really like it. Like the guys said u have to feel comfortable with it. I also go to my gun club and someone is always there and always asking "hey u want to try my pistol" and that is another way to try out some guns before u buy. Do you go shooting alot?
  10. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I have owned two Browning Buck Marks and both of them are very accurate pistols. I prefer the take-down of the Browning over the Ruger, but the Ruger is a fine 22 as well. For your price range you could get either and if you ever get serious about competition shooting they can both be modified to suit your needs.

Like others have said, try to get you hands on as many types of pistols or revolvers as you can and make your decision from there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
  11. BillM

BillM Active Member

"maybe even shooting competitively"????? What game?

Bullseye? Steel Challenge? 22 Silhouette? :confused:

As others have said---try out all that you can before you
    decide.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

give us some info on u shooting
  13. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Ruger Mark 111 with Bull barrel,you can't go wrong. BTW You should check out a different manufacturer's models, you will know which fits best when U do.:):
  14. gunnyguy

gunnyguy New Member

Hi y'all
    im new to the forum and joined mainly to find out about a gun my dad bought me when i was 6 years old . It's a .22 Remington model 33 . i did some searching and found out that rem made them from 1932-1935. but it doesn't have a serial number and the date mark on the barrel indicates it was made in Dec 1931. did they manufacture them in 31? If so how many were made in that year ? I know rem introduced them in 32 but basically im trying to get close to which serial numbers would cover this particular rifle. Thanks in advance for any info y'all might throw my way.

"when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will be at peace ...till then im packin"
  15. langenc

langenc Member

Ruger Mark III.. Some available in your price range. Could wait till another $100 or so available and get the stainless model..

Try a couple local gun clubs. Many have pistol leagues or 'pistol night'. Go and shoot several shooters guns. I let visitors shoot my guns several times. May have to buy some ammo for such an event but ask. Shooters are always looking for more to join them, esp as you said 'girls'.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

GUNNYGUY do a separate post on "general" need help identifying gun and u will get a response faster and welcome to the forum
  17. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    the i am a girl dont float with me,i have trained many women and they learn faster as a rule than the men.i think since they have no preconceived notion as to how to shoot they tend to listen and practice what is taught.i would go with the ruger used mark ll or new mark lll.the grips can be changed to a configeration that suits you.happy holidays and god bless old semperfi
  18. coljan12

coljan12 New Member

need part

Hi new here don't know my way around yet.
    Need some help locating a part please.
    Does anybody know where i can get a new ejector rod and a standard .22 cylinder for a JP Sauer and Sohn .22 Western Marshall single action revolver.
    If anyone has parts or an old gun they would be willing to sell i'd appreciate your help.
    Thanks
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

numrich gun parts might have what u need if not come back here and others on the forum will help u and welcome to the forum
  20. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

the rugers ll & lll are excellent shooters, you can't go wrong.